Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reveillon at the Summit?
When I lived in New Orleans, sometimes people would have a feast just after midnight on either Christmas Eve or New Years. It was called a "reveillon". I have always wanted to dine while overlooking Halemaumau, there at the summit of Kilauea. And I got to wondering, is there any reason why you couldn't bring a table, a nice linen table cloth (with clips), some glasses, a brisket, some plates and napkins and just lay it all out right there at the overlook, weather permitting?

Can you think of any legal or regulatory impediment to dining al fresco at the volcano? Of course, I would want my wine to be sulfite-free as some kind of sulf-something would be in abundance and you wouldn't want any extra in your glass. And, I guess there is the possibility of a flaming rock landing in the crystal just as you are about to clink glasses.

And I guess the whole, lovely scene could be obscured by a stinging, toxic cloud if the wind started blowing the wrong way.

But if it went right, it seems like it could be pretty fun.

I understand there is a view from the Volcano House but I don't think it would be the same and they aren't open that late. And that's just too, too easy.

Please discuss whether I should be committed immediately, or if it is best to wait another year while it becomes full blown.
Can't think of any logical reason why you shouldn't be able to do this but am sure you will run into a few jobsworths in the park that will tell you its high treason or something. There are signs telling you where you can have picnics so suspect you'll be told that's where you have to eat and prison will be the result if you choose elsewhere. I'm also wondering, however, where exactly you plan to have dinner? Most of the Kilauea crater road is closed and hiking with a table and all your other accessories might be challenging.
FWIW:

I believe you fall into the overnight category with said plan. I think you can keep your picnic details to yourself.
I know the "glow" varies and isn't really predictable other than it is much more fabulous on the clear stary nights than the cloudy ones.
I would recommend the turnoff signed as: "kilauea" juat after the steam vents turn off and before Jaggar. This signage / name is rather curious as of course the whole side of the island is kilauea, so don't let that sign fool you! I suggest it because of the excellent view overlooking is nearly the same as Jaggar's.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hike_bc.htm

"All overnight backcountry hiking and camping requires a permit. Permits are free and must be obtained in person from the Backcountry Office"

Backcountry office:
808-985-6178
8am-4pm

So yeah you probably want to get a permit. May sound bizzare but its really just for your safety so ..oh idk.. If the volcano erupts (with greater frequency) then someone knows where you are and can come save you - if necessary.

Added: the "kilauea" turnoff happens to have a paved parking area with a paved trail straight out to the caldera. There may even be some shanty-like bathroom structure as well near the parking.
I am not talking about a table IN the crater. I am just talking about setting one up near the Jaggar museum, right in front of it, at that overlook thingy where all the tourists go......but at midnight.
Can we all watch your toast on the web cam? This will provide voyeurs with a whole new reason to watch that camera! I just love the romantic mind that ignores obstacles to pull off the perfect moment. Is wine allowed in National Parks? You might have to consume the evidence as quickly as possible, so you might need a driver to avoid a federal DUI.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Bundle up!! It's colder than a well diggers ass up there at night... Cold and windy usually!! Go for it though!

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

set it up at the lookout thats not near all the tourists/buses, at the end of the short road BEFORE you get to Jaggar...

Or set it up on the other side of Kilauea Iki, the parking lot the tourists dont seem to know about (at end of devastation trail) ...thats a great pali view too....

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Yeah I didn't think you meant IN the crater lol. That would be dangerous and illegal.

The area I suggested (i'm assuming) is the same one bananahead described.

The reason I suggest getting a permit is because if a ranger / LEO happens to see you with all your "stuff" (table/light/chairs/etc) it will probably look like a campsite to them...if you are just on the caldera edge and not in a designated camping area this could be a problem in their eyes. Hence the permit. If you go pick that up ahead of time (its free) then all you have to do is flash that paper and you're good to go!

I totally understand your desire to do this, and would suggest keeping the details of your overnight "hike" to yourself. Basically just go into the back country office and tell them that you want to be in the park at nighttime and want to make sure everything is sympatico.
And oh yeah. Go immediately. Clear skies if possible. Skip the cloudy nights. Bring a camera for the long exposure shots...the stars and 'glow' make for some excellent memories.
Right at Jagger, have seen people picnic-ing (bag 'lunch', out of a basket & with bento boxes), on the benches, on the steps, leaning on the walls, all sans tables.

Have seen with tables at the Kilauea Overlook (& as it is labeled a 'picnic area' I think it should be OK)
Link for NPS info on that spot with photos for planning:
http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/cr...aovrlk.htm

and a great write-up that may sway you (written prior to the puka):
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/arch...06_17.html

Added: If you want to do a more mundane thing, Uncle George's lounge at Volcano House (the renovation of this room is much nicer than the old "lounge") is now open nightly till midnight (of course it is wayyy to early for them to know if they will be open later on either of those nights...)
Their link with the old hours:
http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/dining/