Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeless & crime here!!!
I cant help but notice all the gatherings of GUYS between the banks, community center, and the Akebono in Pahoa. Being from here I can tell you the faces I see there are TROUBLE. We need a better place for them, and a safer feeling to our town. This area really does need some kind of homeless shelter's. That can offer such programs WHERE community members or police officer's can basically ADOPT a Homeless for an hour a day?. Maybe pay them $10 to walk or bath our pet's?. This way they don't fall through the cracks or be forgotten, and police would have a better idea what's going on in town. That is just one crazy idea for a crazy situation that is happening in Pahoa. At least have 2 police on horses in that area daily for awhile would be a start. Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated, Or maybe it's just me that's noticing these GUY'S. They were trouble 20 years ago when rent was affordable ( MOSTLY BURGLARIES) and (DRUGS).
I would not trust them with my dogs. Homelessness out here looks rough. Maybe that's why most of them stay in Honolulu where they can get more handouts.
Are you saying you KNOW these guys? Call the cops, they should already be working with a community watch program in Pahoa town.
Well know them, know them probably not. But I have had the opportunity to roll with at least 3 or 4 of them. I have already been a victim several times by some of those clowns. They come in one day take your t.v. The next day they come back for your furniture. The next day is the water pump, and appliances. The next day I beat someone down with a bat and watch them crawl home. These guys like to use kids about 14-17 to sell or steal for less punishment for the crimes taken place. I am only warning the community to be on the watch with this crew and frankly I don't believe to many of them use those banks, or eat at Luquins.
Much of the time, the chronically homeless have more service needs than can be provided with a few hours of community "adoption" or a few hours of low wage labor.We have worked with many programs designed to feed and provide shelter to low income and homeless, both here and on the mainland, and many times it is very complicated to provide equitable service to those in need.

Sometimes this because of the target population is hesitant to accept the provisions, sometimes it is that the donor population is not close (many definitions fit here) to the target population, sometimes it is that the target population is too diverse, sometimes it is that some of the target population abuse the system.
gypsy69

Why not go down there and invite these people to camp out on your property or maybe build a group home for them to live in ??

Our government is basically broke.How long can we keep borrowing money to care for the lazy dopers ????????

Maybe because their baseball bat it tired of handing out summary beatings. Back in the old days criminals usually ended up with a death certificate that stated the cause of death was asphyxiation due to altitude.
I dunno... This post comes up often. While there are a lot of bums / homeless that tend to frequent the banks and cash/carry ... I think the first step would be to get alcohol BANNED at 7/11, Longs and Malama Market ... Or Banned in Pahoa period... If you banned the sale of alcohol the bum problem would soon be over. An inconvenience for drinkers in the area? Sure... But... They could always stock up in Hilo.

I've personally witnessed this happen in a town I was staying in... Cleaned up the situation over night. The effect was amazing when a drunk can't find alcohol they simply vanish to some other town that will sell it.
@ Eric, I don't think Alcohol is the problem. It's other far worse drugs curtailing these souls. And there is't much anyone can do once a person gives up their own personal responsibility for themselves. I'm being nice right now, as I have little respect for these types of people. People that are in sincere need of help, that still have a sense of personal responsibility, will find help and get better. Thieves and drug addicts don't fall in this category- in my opinion. There is no "Aloha" with these people

I've earned everything I am and have in this life so I cannot related to these bags of crap loitering around Pahoa. I think it's going to get much worse, as Obie described; our govt is running out of money and the middle class (even in hawaii) is dwindling. it's only a matter of time till they feel even more entitled to what you have.

And yes, I'd be a little pissed off if I had to drive 35 miles for some drinks.

Living on the side of creation.
Ignorance and stupidity is dangerous by their definitions.

Well the old fire station and the old police stations are eye sores in town too. These are the kind of buildings these guys are sleeping behind right now. Now I understand the buildings are no good for current police staff, But can the county or state get rid of these dwellings. I just received an invitation to join a group (NEXTDOOR, Looks like some would like a better and safer neighborhood. As for the state of Hawaii who is BROKE, The state claims to be the Aloha state Why?. So billions should be spent for mass transportation, yet down and out real people don't have many options here why?. The state is after the millions associated with Gay, Lesbian, marriage which will bring many more to the islands. The state is not dealing with there homeless problem, and now with so many more people coming it's sure to push more into the streets. These homeless folks here are everyone's problem, Not just here in Pahoa but Hilo too. I tried to have a birthday party at one of the Wailoa park pavilions where you can feed the ducks. We could not fit the 15 kids into any pavilion as the homeless were sprawled out everywhere. Feces in corner's, rubbish everywhere, I did not stick around long to look for the needles. The kids were bummed out for it was raining hard and now the party was not happening there. We moved it to the Kress theater and watched a movie. (it's everyone's problem even our keiki). With there being shelters for animal's why not people? Aloha and let's stay open-minded.