Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HB Water 40% rate hike
The Hawaii County Department of Water Supply, which is a semi-autonomous agency that operates and maintains water systems with revenues generated through water sales, currently charges $1.80 per 1,000 gallons consumed. A monthly average cost for water consumption only is about $21.60.

Found the Above info on the net dated oct 2012.

Just got a letter in the mail. Didn't they just raise the rates not too long ago?

HB Water wants to charge $4.23 per 1000 Gallons and $41.43 monthly flat rate. Basically a 40% rate hike over both consumption and monthly charges. I'm guessing my bill will go from the aver 35 to 50 bucks or 600 a year. I like to pay my bill in advanced. So instead of giving them 425 bucks I now gotta give em 600. I wish HB had an online bank payment program.

Comments?
wow, only $4+ for 1,000 gallons, that seems super cheap

try getting 3,000 gallons delivered to you, its going to cost far more than $12+ Wink

if I had that system, at that rate I would use $6-$7 a month as I only use about 1500 gallons a month

but then again my water is always free, same with my electricity, sewer, garbage, etc. FREE FREE FREE

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
so at that rate of $21.60 being an average bill ($1.80/1,000g)

so these homes are using 12,000 gallons of water a month on AVERAGE??? WOW what a waste! 400 gallons a day/home!!!!

I really didn't want to turn this into a "FREE" catchment vs private water debate. I've had both and if someone could delivery me a "FREE" 10K gallon tank with a quality pump and bladder "FREE" installed and maintained with all the filters I'd be all over it!

Kidding aside... This is post is not meant for people on "FREE" catchment tanks! Smile

Then again if someone could deliver 10 300 watt solar panels 18 batteries and a decent charge controller with a decent inverter all setup and maintained for FREE... Heck Sign me up brother! Smile Ooops I forgot, don't forget to throw in one of those FREE honda Generators in too! Smile Thanks!

Ooops, and some Free GAS too? Thanks Brother!

Looks like HB is raising funds to extend the water system into all the under-served subdivisions -- a long-overdue change which I fully support.

I'm sure that's what the rate hike is for, anyway. Right?
After living on catchment for the last 28 years and having recently moved to a house with a meter(!) I can say.. for me.. that that water bill is the cheapest most wonderful thing in my life! Really.. every time I walk up to the sink it's one of them 'praise god' moments! clean SAFE water for practically nothing! compared to all the humbug catchment brings it's awesome!
I don't see the problem with catchment. Some chlorine and baking soda every month, filters and then a UV system for drinking water and you have cheap clean SAFE water for practically nothing!
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Nope! Living on catchment means you get to be your own water manager. Getting ready to drop $250 on a new cover. Put last one on 4 years ago. Once a year I get a new UV bulb (about $60) plus there's filters to change. For me that means about $50, 4 times a year. Really need to get the tank cleaned- maybe $100 this time, and at some point in the future I am sure a new liner will be in order.

Not even sure what HELCO charges to turn the pump but I sure do miss it when the power goes out maybe 12-20 times a year. No power = no water = no showers after work until they turn power back on, which can take a while if all the workers are busy or already went home and have to be "called back".

Sorry to gripe so much but I question whether catchment really saves any cost at all, and I won't even drink our water because cryptosporidia require a 1 micron filter and I only filter down to 5 microns because it affects the pressure and frequency of filter changes.
Your UV bulb doesn't kill the cryptosporidia?
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

The Hawaii County Department of Water Supply, which is a semi-autonomous agency that operates and maintains water systems with revenues generated through water sales, currently charges $1.80 per 1,000 gallons consumed. A monthly average cost for water consumption only is about $21.60.

Found the Above info on the net dated oct 2012.

Just got a letter in the mail. Didn't they just raise the rates not too long ago?

HB Water wants to charge $4.23 per 1000 Gallons and $41.43 monthly flat rate. Basically a 40% rate hike over both consumption and monthly charges. I'm guessing my bill will go from the aver 35 to 50 bucks or 600 a year. I like to pay my bill in advanced. So instead of giving them 425 bucks I now gotta give em 600. I wish HB had an online bank payment program.

Comments?

My water bill only went up a couple bucks a month, so I did a little research. If you really want to know it's all on their website.

http://hawaiidws.org/4%20your%20water%20...%20dmw.htm

It looks like water rates are staying the same and only the power costs are going up.

quote:
Effective July 1, 2011 First Block $ 0.81 Second Block 1.67
Effective July 1, 2012 First Block $ 0.89 Second Block 1.80
Effective July 1, 2013 First Block $ 0.89 Second Block 1.80
Effective July 1, 2014 First Block $ 0.89 Second Block 1.80

You have to be using a lot of water to be hitting the 2nd block(more then 5000 gallons per month). I have been on county water for almost 5 years and haven't even come close.

You sure about the $41.43 monthly flat rate? I get billed every 2 months and my bill is ~54-58 bucks. On their website
quote:
All meter connections shall be subject to a monthly standby charge as follows:

Effective July 1, 2010 5/8" meter $ 13.25
Effective July 1, 2011 5/8" meter $ 14.70
Effective July 1, 2012 5/8" meter $ 15.00
Effective July 1, 2013 5/8" meter $ 15.70
Effective July 1, 2014 5/8" meter $ 16.00

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but I will watch my next couple water bills just in case.