Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for the domestically-challenged
Can't come up with a Puna-based tip right now, but lesson learned:

1) Now matter how ingenious you think it is, don't use a cheap plastic fish spatula to get a hot pizza out of the oven.

Any others?
I hate to tell this story. I put my electric hot water pot on the stove, turned on the stove and walked away.
Noticed my mistake too late. Stinkin' smoke filled up the house, melted plastic all over the new stove.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Mop heads and lizards

I remember when I was a student a UHM I had an apartment in Manoa. I always put my mop outside to dry on a line with the head up and the pole down. One day I went out and grabbed the pole and carried it in as a lizards jumped across my shoulder. Lesson learned—don’t clean apartment or if you do clean, carry mop with head down. Any other suggestions?
LMAO! Too funny, Tom & Nana.

Well, for years and years (almost 50) we teased my Mom about her first Father's Day dinner. When Papa carved the chicken, he found a plastic bag with the innards in it! Daddy was the cook, Mom was clean up after that episode.

Well, fast forward to this last Thanksgiving, and as I prepped our turkey, I made sure (like always) to take out the bag in the chest cavity. This time, the neck was the only thing there! Cooked the turkey, went to carve it when pau, and WTH is that on the back end of the bird? OMG, there was a bag with the gizzards (no liver) in it! [:0]

Lesson for the domestically-challenged: Always check the turkey or chicken on both ends for that bag!

Oh, and never, ever, tease your Mother!!! It will come back to you...eventually. [:I] (Shhh...don't tell my Mom that happened, I'll never hear the end of it! lol.)
One of my aunts never cooked but always drank, so when my uncle had to go out of town for a week he hid all the liquor in the wall oven. (alright, stay with the group everyone...). When he arrived home from his trip, he saw the fire department surrounding his house and my aunt out front sitting under a tree shaking like the paint mixer down at the Home Depot. "What the hell happened?" uncle asked. "I wanted to do something special to welcome you home, so I decided to bake you a cake. I turned the oven on to preheat and started mixing the batter when the whole wall exploded!"
Don't make popcorn without your glasses. Yellow lentils just won't pop.
I usually put dinner rolls into the microwave to heat, but one time I put them into the oven to heat. Note to self: ALWAYS remove them from plastic bag before putting them into oven!!!! Try cleaning melted plastic off of oven racks!
Never chop fresh coconut in a mixing blender!
LOL to all. [Big Grin] Some funny stuff here!

When microwave ovens were pretty newly on the market my Dad bought my Mom one.

Her first experiment was a couple of chicken thighs. She cooked them for 45 minutes. When they came out they were 100% void of moisture and made concrete seem soft by comparison.

She rarely used the microwave after that episode.

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Don't make popcorn without your glasses. Yellow lentils just won't pop.

That and they cannot make some of those number buttons big enough to see, I wanted 3 minutes not 3 hours!