Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
government beach road complaints dec 2013
Government beach rd in waawaa is getting bad. I've lived in waawaa for 8 yrs as a property owner not renter. Plenty of people in waawaa have new cars and the road has eroded away to the point of having giant potholes every 50 feet. Its not fair that people who live in waawaa have to drive a 2 mile stretch of bad road to get home when the rest of the driving we do daily is on a paved road. Many people buy suv or trucks just so when they drive home for 2 miles on government beach road they wont bottom out there car. Even so the cost of maintaining cars, even ones with clearance is a high cost.
Most people who do not want the road fixed don't live in waawaa or don't own property or don't drive and maintain a car. Its now at the point that even suvs with clearance can bottom out on potholes.
if something is not done about road people will be forced to organize complaints and show the neglect of service to maintain the road which will be a headache for someone!!!
From experience - bad roads make for good neighbors .....

Good roads very often lead to the opposite - grin

Be careful what you wish for .... I'd look for some upgraded suspension pieces in the mean time - a top level set of shocks and springs make all the difference -

Change em out every few years out here - just the water and salt air alone can ruin the front suspension..... this is not a place to ignore the steering bits and pieces - or do so at one own peril
"Limbo" roads were created by "a pre-Statehood government" and became State property upon statehood; they were then granted to the various Counties, who then simply refused to accept, despite State funds being made available for Counties to bring those roads "up to spec" (at which point they become official County roads).

Government Beach Road in Waawaa is an official "road in limbo", listed on the Inventory as "segment 1B-5", through plats 03, 05, 28, total 21120 feet.

It is also known as "parcel 140289990000", but this parcel is not "owned" by anyone (there is "no data available").

Organized complaints will have little or no effect -- there is simply nowhere to lodge these complaints, and the situation hasn't changed in the last 50+ years.

Look on the bright side -- lack of "liability" cuts both ways.

sometimes (most times) its not the road that makes the car feel like its leaving the road bed.

guy is annoying - but knows his stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoRNWG6P0A

I dont think a passenger car oem would go more than 24k miles out here

Notice how many cars ride poorly or "shimmy" from side to side out here, or the nose dives into a pot hole when using the brakes - making it much worse...
a

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

but this parcel is not "owned" by anyone (there is "no data available").

Organized complaints will have little or no effect -- there is simply nowhere to lodge these complaints,

So, hypothetically speaking (because I think you would be crazy for someone to do this, and just waste time)... but hypothetically, what do you think would happen if someone set up a couple of saw horses on that stretch of road, with a sign that said "Toll Road Repair, $1.00).

Then when the police cruiser comes out, the new toll collector (and pothole filler) would tell the officer s/he has accepted that section of road as no one else ever has, so there is no law being broken with any authority over that parcel. Move along officer. Oh, and by the way, that will be $1.00.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
this is funny! you chose to live rurally ... OMG a pothole every 50' lol
so now you have for slow down to 32 MPH in your newly washed and now dusty Corvette
(must be a Corvette as nothing else would ever bottom out on that part of the Gov Rd)

dont lie. its not a higher cost to maintain a newer car that drives Honolulu Landing to WaaWaa daily, unless you wash your car daily at a carwash...

try driving any of the 77 miles of road in Hawaiian Acres (90% you cant drive over 8 MPH). that may coast a bit of extra maintenance $$

Oahu is for you... Not Puna

one day soon if not wiped out by Pu'u O'o or the Kapoho riff zone... that area will be a hwy w/ a dozen cars a minute traveling 55+ and your unadjusted wandering dog will probably get hit by a tourist in a new red mustang!

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
waawaa1's original post makes the claim that most of the people who oppose paving the road are not WaaWaa residents or property owners or don't drive. I know a lot of WaaWaa residents who have told me they don't want the road widened or paved, for a variety of reasons. So the question is, who are "most of the people" waawaa1 refers to? Has a survey been done? On what does he base this claim? How do we know this claim is accurate? Is waawaa1 one of those new residents who buy cheap land and then expect the county to provide infrastructure, the lack of which was why the land was cheap in the first place? You bought land in the country but didn't expect rural roads? Caveat emptor.
This is pretty much hearsay on my part, but my understanding is that Wa'awa'a residents sided pretty strongly for no paving. A couple of years back when Roads in Limbo was actually a news topic the county chose two roads to upgrade: Government Road in Wa'awa'a and the unpaved portion of Ka'ohe Homesteads Road. Again only hearsay, but the Wa'awa'a residents were said to have pushed back hard enough against paving that the Homesteads road got two lanes on that unpaved section, instead of just an extension of the (still) one lane Ka'ohe Homestead/Cemetery road route between the Pahoa schools and the transfer station. The only support I have for this story is our complete astonishment that two lanes were paved instead of one. Not that we mind.
It never ceases to amaze me how some folks come to a place and need to change it to fit their image rather than finding refuge in it's ways.. it's rhythms and culture. Especially one so rich as ours.

http://volcanophoto.com