Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning links wanted as the thunder rumbles
Who can suggest a good lightning map for the Big Island? I have looked at a few I rousted on google, but can't find anything that is specific as ones I used on the mainland.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
I've also looked for a good real time strike map and haven't found anything for here.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
Unfortunately, most of the money for NWS goes to salaries, And not the website.
The information on lightning strikes is collected. Its just not published. .
The Wunderground Google map plus radar overlay (click the Radar button at the top) shows lightning centers that you can click on for meteorological data. There's various settings you can make.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=wxmap&query=96778
Mauna Loa NOAA used to maintain a site however it has not been updated in some time. Wunderground does not have access to any Hawaii lightning data that I am aware of to date. There are a couple of Government lightning data collection points but, they do not share the data with the general public. Mauna Kea Observatory used to have a link to quasi-government site but I am not able to locate the link anymore. The data would be handy in my job for safety until then I use my eyes and ears or for incoming lightning I tune into the low side of the AM radio band. Perhaps TomK has a lead?
The MKWC certainly used to link to lightning detection overlay but that disappeared some years ago. I remember discussions about there being a charge for the data but am not sure if that's the reason it disappeared (I can ask the forecaster at MKWC about it if anyone is interested, I know the guy). The only thing I've found, which may well be what that site used to link to, is this:

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/pacnet/lightning.pl

If you click on the "loop last 24 hours" link above the central image in the "West Pacific Lightning Products" it does appear to give an up-to-date overlay of lightning detections for the last day (the time at the bottom is UT), but it's a small scale image so although you can there has been plenty of lightning around the island, it's difficult to give a precise location.
Still hoping to find a place that when I hear the first rumble, I can see where it hit, Hilo vs Pahoa, etc. Thanks for the help so far.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

Unfortunately, most of the money for NWS goes to salaries, And not the website.
The information on lightning strikes is collected. Its just not published. .

If there wasn't money for salaries then the data wouldn't even be collected and wouldn't be used by anyone. If you think it should be publicly available, complain to the people who believe we shouldn't be squandering money on wasteful things like "something called 'volcano monitoring'".
dunno about links but it sounds like we are in for a pretty good show tonight. Seems like the storm is moving in from the hilo side.
That's a lot of energy being exchanged right now.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.