Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we get tornados here?
Doesn't seem likely, but I SWEAR I heard one a little bit ago. I stepped outside and walked around my house looking, but didn't see anything.

I remember the sound/feel really well from my youth (south texas and new orleans).

So just curious if this is something I need to keep an eye on or was it just a coincidence of sounds?

Being so far away from the water (up on 40th in OrchidLand) I never really thought of it being an issue. I guess I assumed the only type of twister we'd have here would be waterspouts at worst. I guess I better do some google-ing!

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I've seen waterspouts down where the lava entere the ocean, but no tornadoes here otherwise.

Crazy wind and rain though so I can see why you are asking.
I just heard the sound again. A bit of a train sound. Not a normal sound around here. I'm used to the wind/rain sounds.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
RS-85517
Yes, we get tornadoes in Hawaii... rare but it can and does happen.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
it probably was the weird thunder bumps. I'm use to lightning / thunder stuff on the mainland but this takes the cake and is still going on... Woke up to crash of a tree limb ... almost took out the power but we still have it. I'm using a hotspot on my cell other wise no internet from RoadRunner.
Aloha Broadband is still up and running down here and they link through Time Warner. This weather sucks, I've too many things to be doing outside and being stuck inside the past couple days hasn't been cool.

Actually tornadoes are another form of electrical phenomena so under the current circumstances it's very possible to have them and it not become a matter of official record. We had them in Washington state under these types of conditions on rare occasion. It's more difficult for the events to be captured by the meteorological recording systems during times like this... too much motion in the ocean so to speak.

Well, I've not heard it again but I swear thats what I heard. Train sound, not thunder.

Interesting to see if anything shows up later on the recording systems?

I do LOVE this type of weather, but I'm with you Wao nahele kane, I wanna be working outside!!!!! My goat would not come to the milking stand today, she just stood under her shelter and yelled at me, so I let her kids out and gave her some hay. Told the kids that they get an extra breakfast!

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
RS-85517
All electric discharge consists of rotation in the surrounding atmosphere, typically not detectable by the human eye unless demonstrated in a cloud chamber. Also shown under such demonstrations is rotation without visible discharge while occurring simultaneously with discharge elsewhere in the same chamber.

You may have indeed heard a tornado.

Yes... I want to get back outside too and be doing things. I bet many animals are a little uneasy during all this commotion.

Tornadoes usually happen when extreme frontal boundaries collide and where there is lots of flat open land. Kansas.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.