Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a place to work...storm killed my DSL
Hi,

I live in HPP and I work from home for a company on the mainland as a data base administrator. The recent storm knocked out my DSL line and Hawaii Telcom said that they would not even be able to look at it until January 27...maybe!!!

So I am looking to rent space somewhere. All I need is a small place to work, and wireless internet access until my DSL line gets fixed. If anyone knows of anyone, perhaps someone with a small business that has an extra desk in their office, please let me know! I can be reached at mike_field@hotmail.com.

Thanks!
Call Paradise Business Center - maybe Steve can work a deal with you.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
Mike (aka Guy)... The storm knocked out our home phone line and the Hawaian Tel service rep said that due to the high number of lines out/complaints received (apparently some cables were affected) their dispatch system is kicking out crazy repair due dates. I got a repair date of 2/14! However, he said that they expect troubles to clear in dramatic chunks as cables are fixed, dried out, etc., automatically clearing out bunches of trouble tickets simultaneously and bringing repair due dates back to something more reasonable. So your 1/27 date may be the worst case scenario, and you may hopefully be back in service well before then. Good luck!
Sent you an email with a possible solution, check your spam box if you didn't get it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Co-working space is available at Hawaii Tech Works in Hilo. Monthly membership fee. I'm not sure if there is a minimum commitment. Nice site, great people!
http://www.hawaiitechworks.org/Designlab...space/#top

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Free internet in the McDonald's parking lot.
Second the vote for Hawaii Tech Works.

Also heard of a new networking office that opened in Hilo recently. The new business was mentioned in the HTH and a few other sites. Forget the name though.

Hawaii Innovation Center in downtown Hilo may also offer some temp space.

Box Jelly and others are expanding on Oahu - but not seeing too many co working spaces on BI yet.
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. I, like some of you, had his phone/DSL knocked out by the storm. Everyone around me came back up but I didn't. After two VERY aggravating days of dealing with Hawaiian Telco support department and being told a different answer EVERY time, I called I decided on a different tact. I started calling the supervisors, managers and executives at Hawaiian Telco..repeatedly…I raised holy heck. I also posted on the Hawaii Telco Facebook page and informed them I would continue to post on their page for every day that I was down. By 5:00pm I had two telco trucks here and they fixed my issue in about 10 minutes. It is a shame that I had to go that route but I was desperate!

Anyway, I really appreciate everyones kind suggestions and those of you who let me work off of your wireless connections until I was back up.
The aloha way is to get a few cases of beer... Make friends with the techs that way if it ever happens again... You'll be the first to have service. Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

The aloha way is to get a few cases of beer...
Phone, internet, electric, appliances, satellite TV, mail delivery, tax assessor.... that's a lot of cases of beer!

Will they still help out if you buy them Old Milwaukee on sale?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves