Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Speed Internet in the Acres???
What's currently available up here in upper/inner Hawaiian Acres?

We've been using a Verizon Jetpack (4 weeks/3 gig data for $60) since AWS disappeared, but we'd like something...well, really fast, and unlimited, and cheap!

Yeah, pick one, right?
Dial-up is not an option, Time-Warner and Oceanic aren't out here.

Although I think a Time-Warner truck just drove by--white with teal and green or blue stripes? Maybe it's time to call them again.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
I have had tremendous luck with Wildblue/Excede - its satellite - but has hands down been the best yet. I have the 25 gig a month deal - at about $130.00 a month.

Don't know if they still offer it but from midnight to 5AM the data usage count is "lifted" and does not count towards monthly limits.

Yes - it goes out in the rain, not any good if you play video games on line - but it is as fast and reliable as you will find. Streams HD (Netflix etc.) just fine.

You can package it with Dish or Direct TV as well.

Thanks, we're checking them out. Any other suggestions, anybody?

Verizon Home Fusion. Much better latency rates.
thanks, but website says it isn't available here.

quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Verizon Home Fusion. Much better latency rates.

Ken I live in Eden Roc and have wildblue/excede and has been very good about staying on during the rain had it for about a year abd lost it a couple time for a short period of time. Would recommend it.

jrw
jrw
One road, Eight road, and the front part of Nine road have Oceanic-Time Warner's Road Runner, but that's it.
I've tried every large cellular carrier and while they keep getting better the prices are outrageous for what you actually get.
Some of my friends have Starband from Tropical Satellite which they are satisfied with, when I tried I was not impressed.
If your HACA dues are paid up you can get free WiFi at the community center, which you can use for big downloads for later use at home.
I've basically moved into my girlfriend's house since she has cable, I'm paying about $65 per month for "up to" 30 Mbit/sec down and 5 Mbit/sec up, but now I'm spoiled by my access to high-speed internet, anything slower than what I now have is unbearable.

There was another option using WiMAX, called Coconut Wireless, but I'm unsure if they're still in business.

I guess it's the price we pay to be, somewhat, out in the boonies.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Hi Lee,

We also have Exede satellite internet (we're in Nanawale) and the speed has been pretty decent. Yes, it is prone to "rain fade" but that's when we head to the Pahoa or Hilo Libaries or to the Starbucks on Kilauea in Hilo to take advantage of their free internet (mostly for when we need to sync our computers with the cloud, which takes a lot of data).

It's $130 per month for the 25gb package as Ken said, but there's also a $10/month "equipment lease fee" as well as the usual taxes, so it runs about $145/month total.

If you do a lot of web browsing, but not video streaming or uploading of data, they used to have a decently priced 5gb package with unlimited web browsing. I don't see it listed now, but you can always ask them if it's still an option.

http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-p...?zip=96778

Cheers,
Allison

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.
~Douglas Adams