Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whales
We saw a pod of whales today off the coastline in Kaimu/Kalapana ! Anyone else seeing them?
Been seeing a pretty good number every day in Kapoho.

Today they were pretty far offshore . Could be because of the high surf.

Heard one breach yesterday and looked in time to see the splash.
I saw several groups today outside hapuna and puako. The waves were incredible also.. Smile)
We were in Maui on Sunday and they were everywhere off of Maalaea and Kihei, coming right up to our boat (after we turned off engine).
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
We saw several whales today near Kehena beach and heard one after dark tonight.
They've been active for the last week off the coast in Paradise Park, as well as the large bay on the Hilo side of Kaloli Point. I've seen them four days out of the last seven, and heard them a few times at night. Spouting, breeching, tail slapping...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
COOL! Can they be seen on the Makuu side of Paradise Park? Also, how high up in the Park can they be heard? We've never heard them before.
I've seen them closer to Paradise Dr, but a few times they were swimming towards Maku'u. If the wind and waves are calm, and it's a cool night so the coquis are quiet, I would guess you could hear the whales up to 2nd Street. Sound can carry a long distance at night under those conditions.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I can report that we saw several at South Point, too. One came up to the cliffs, rolled by then dove deep...right by the cliff jumpers and swimmers. This was on Wednesday and it was a beautiful day to visit that windy place.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.