Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF you've been thinking about solar
Big changes in the Chinese solar industry:

http://theenergycollective.com/eric-weso...ive-or-die
At the solar class last week the instructor Christian said Trina panels had the most problems.
Are Chinese panels the only option available on the east side of the island, or the most affordable? I'm just wondering why Chinese equipment would be the primary choice?
Chinese PV manufacturers undercut every other country, so it's difficult/expensive to find anything non-Chinese.

They're able to do this by dumping the tailings into the river -- other countries require the manufacturers to clean up after themselves.
Solar world panels are made in USA and offered in Puna by Paul Moore, "solar man"
hawaiideborah
If someone tells you they use Canadian Solar panels look closely. Almost all of Canadian Solar's panels are made in China.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Like it or not, the only reason why solar is affordable is because of Chinese panels / competition with Chinese panels. Some short-sighted politicians have tried to demonize Chinese panels while simultaneously throwing billions of dollars into USA companies who went bankrupt and also by setting up economic roadblocks to flooding the USA with cheap imported solar power in a misguided attempt to "create jobs" in this country, but unfortunately they didn't understand that very few jobs are created by making solar panels, they are created by installing and servicing them, and their policies not only cost a lot of USA jobs and threw billions of dollars into the toilet, but continued our dependence on fossil fuels. You can create energy by importing oil or by importing solar panels. Yes, both can be acquired domestically but this is a global economy. Looks like our policy makers slept through their high school economics classes.
quote:
Almost all of Canadian Solar's panels are made in China.

Also popular: panels "assembled" in US or Canada ... from Chinese-made cells. These are considered "51% domestic", meaning they qualified for Federal "stimulus" projects.

Tada,
You said your instructor claimed Trina panels have the most problems. What kind of problems? Sunrun (Islandwide Solar) and Solar City are among many of the solar companies using these panels. Since I am in the process of getting these exact panels, my inquiring mind would like to know more info on what 'problems.'

Thanks!
All Christian said was they had the most problems- seems pretty upfront guy. Don't know if u got the last permit from the helco for grid tie and how committed u are. His company is on Kamuela side so maybe can get free estimate for just inquire?

http://offgridhi.com/