Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good counselors in the Hilo/Puna area
Aloha Punawebbers,
Does anyone have good referrals of counselors that know what they're doing in the Hilo/Puna areas? Anything from individual to marriage and even children. I often want to refer people, but have no way to know who is worth their salt in the field. Mahalo!

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
Steve over at the Bay Clinic is good.
Heard there was a new psychiatrist in Pahoa up above the laundry mat, next to the physical therapy office. I believe his name is matt and he is from back east, I have been wanting to go in myself and try him out, just did not want to scare him yet. He is also a yurtguy, He helped a friend of mine with one.
Right on Lupie and gypsy. Mahalo! Do you happen to know their focuses? If the new fella in Pahoa is a yurt man, he must be good Wink Let me know what you think if you check him out!

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973
Glenn Pressel you can google him. Does EMDR for PTSD. Nice guy, good practice. Family, marriage, and regular one person therapy. Also gay, transgender.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I don't know about Steve. He's helping my husband with reunification with his son. I know he's worked a lot with children, parents and DHS, so probably great with family therapy. Though he's been working for a while in Pahoa... My guess is he's got experience in a lot? Wink lol
He's very easy going and not condescending at all, and he's in his mid 40's.
I'd like to refresh this topic as it's been some time since anyone has added any information. I too am seeking a good referral for a Puna/Hilo counselor and/or psychologist. If anyone out there has a recommendation, I'd love to hear it! Thanks
..at the Bay Clinic

I would STRONGLY suggest that you do all you can to stay away from the Bay Clinic. They are criminally negligent and should be avoided at all cost!
Is calling someone criminally negligent really allowed in this forum? I tried to email that question to Rob as moderator but the email link appeared to not work.
Here is the list that I shared last year in a post about PTSD... This has likely changed but it was my attempt at a list of mental health resources in our area
(just my attempt, please add more that you know of or post corrections)
It's a bit ironic now to see it written as above and below the flow... How things change Smile

Pahoa area mental health professionals, in alpha order.
Below the projected flow...

Tim Ambrose, PhD 965-9416 (between Leilani and Kalapana TIM IS CLOSED AND MOVING OFF ISLAND
Matthew Barrett, MD 494-5376 (Psychiatrist in private practice in Pahoa and the contract psychiatrist at HI Co.mental health) moved? Not sure.
Frank Capatch, LCSW 965-5349 (Greenwill Conservancy in Nanawale- has other therapists and interns that see uninsured)
Caroline Delano, LCSW 965-6226 (in Kehena Beach Estates)
Steve Knight, LCSW 965-1606 (FORMERLY with Pahoa Health Bay Clinic) now in private practice in Pahoa town.
Sage Melillo 965-5464 (in Seaview)
Eliot Rosen, LCSW 965-1279 (in Leilani)
Virginia White 333-2449 (At Pahoa Counseling Center) closed?
Pahoa Family Health Center has Jim Vigorito, PhD 965-9711

Just above the projected flow...
Teni Garret-Johnson. PhD 430-8470 (Keaau)
Keaau Family Health Center has Dawn Stone, LCSW 930-0440
Jean Wavrin, MFT 896-3788 (Keaau)
The ACCESS line is a crisis line 1-800-753-6879, staffed 24/7 that is for any mental health crisis call and they can refer to HI County Adult Mental Health (have to meet very limited criteria to get services from them- ie. schizophrenia, major depression with suicidal ideation, etc.)

Just livin the dream
Just livin the dream
As someone who is familiar with both the Bay Clinic and Steve Knight, I can say I have mixed feelings about the clinic, but only the highest regard for Steve Knight. Steve left the clinic a while back to open his own practice so that he could have more control over the sevices afforded to his clients.