Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red cardinal deterrence
For a long list of reasons, we really would like to get rid of the beautiful and territorial male red cardinal that has boldly taken up space in our carport/yard/space. His beauty does not seem to outweigh his obnoxious qualities and aggressive traits, for us.

We do feel bad, as we are bird watchers and animal lovers and it's hard to believe we really want this guy outta here!

Any suggestions for eradication or deterrence?
Try one of those plastic owls, I think you can find them at Ace hardware or walmart garden section, My mom uses those on her farm to keep the cardinals away from new seedlings. The predatory bird seems to be more effective than a scare crow as it only takes a few weeks for the birds to get used to it, the owl, they seem apprehensive of it all the time.
We got a plastic owl and the birds we wanted to chase off like to perch on it. We have had good luck with hanging old CDs on fishing line. It spins and flashes which seems to startle the birds. I don't know if that will help with a cardinal.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Couldn't agree more about the Owls! We use them to keep the feral chickens out of our gardens. Home Depot has the newer ones. The bottom opens for filling with sand or setting it on top of a pole which is how we do it. Works great!
I dunno I wish more cardinals would come to my lot. What kinda qualities are you talking about specifically? Are they chasing other birds away? I almost bought a pellet gun for all the doves/pigeons in my yard. Seems mina birds chase away cardinals? I guess you could get a cat?

I guess nature is nature and everyone has hate for one type or another. Weather it be blue jays, Starlings or Crows. Personally I'd consider myself lucky to have a few more cardinals hanging out around here.
Cardinals always eat my hot peppers, so I do as another here suggested, I hang worn out DVD/CD above my pepper plants to deter the birds.
No poisons, no injury to innocent birds, and I get to eat my peppers.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Hang the owl from some fishing line so it can move....
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I have a bird feeder that attracts, among other birds, cardinals. I fill it with the regular small size wild bird seed. You could place one as far away on you property as possible and then, little by little, keep moving it farther. This may teach the cardinal to hang out elsewhere.
The dvd/cd's has worked for us, we string them on fishing wire, the movement from the breeze, reflects the light scaring the birds.
Anyone else imagine a bird equivalent of punaweb with a cardinal posting trying to figure out a way to get rid of territorial humans that have taken up space in his yard & space? Maybe it's just me. :-p
Seriously, I've never had a problem with territorial wild birds (my hens can be a bit annoying though) but friends have done the cds/dvds thing and it's worked well for them.