Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The old expirimental apple orchard on mauna kea...
So there's an experimental apple orchard up on Mauna Kea.I haven't been to the orchard in like 7 years. The last time I was up there the trees seemed unhappy, and didn't have as much fruit as the years before. Has anyone been up there recently? If so, how did it look?
If it is the Keanakolu orchard, haven't been in a couple of years, but the last time the orchard was in draught conditions there, and given that the draught is still on, I think that it probably still is in draught conditions (there was a lot of goat nibble damage last time I was there...)
I've only heard of one, so I'm assuming it's the same one....Really sad. It's such a magical place. I wonder who's in charge of taking care of it.
I am pretty sure it was DLNR...
You can get your own experimental low chill apples from Bay Laurel Nursery in California. They ship to Hawaii and list how many chill hours each variety requires for a full fruit set. If you have less chill, you get less fruit, but some varieties will at least give you some fruit in Hawaii. Golden Delicious, Anna, Pettingill are three I can think of at the moment. There are also low chill peach varieties to choose from, too.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
That's really cool, the only type I know for sure that's up on Mauna kea is a crabapple. Not sure if it freezes up there or not. It's about half way up the mountain.....But there are several varieties up there, there were also some pear and cherry trees.

I came across an apple tree in lower leilani estates one day. But could never find it again. That one must've been a low chill variety because it was loaded with fruit.
Couple of years ago we were gifted grocery bags full of apples said to be from Parker Ranch property on Mana Rd, due mauka of Laupahoehoe.
Small (old, old trees) and slightly tart -- Winesap?
Made great pies with breadfruit crusts.
Never heard of this. I would love to check it out sometime. I plan to go to Mauna Kea to enjoy the snow.
Easier to access on the Waimea side...esp. with the lower elev. snow....(snow was all the way below the Mauna Loa Observatory gates today...)
There is an orchard just below mana road near two rancher cabins. The apples are generally on the smaller size but we all enjoyed em. You will need to get permission to access the orchard the surrounding land is privately held to the best if my knowledge. One of our Ohana collects & mills the down Koa up there has a contract set up with the ranchers that was our in. Neat place great memories