Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Palm Meeting Feb 1, 2-4 pm UHH
For those interested in growing oil palm (Elaeis guineensis) as a biofuel or cooking oil crop, there will be an information and cooperative formation meeting Saturday, Feb 1 from 2-4 pm at the UHH University Classroom Building room 111. Agenda items include:

Agenda:

1. Introductions, opening comments

2. Comments on current Biodiesel Tax Credit situation with the Federal government (handouts)

3. Collection and review of data concerning growth, flowering and fruiting

4. Collection and review of Grower problems

5. Review of harvest, extraction of oil and refining of oil (handouts)

6. Review and continue discussion on forming a Cooperative (handouts)
a. process
b. advantages and costs
c. officers

7. New Business?

8. Set next meeting date and adjourn

Please come if interested in becoming a grower or participating in palm oil production.
I was listening on the radio to a program talking about coconut oil and how it had been unfairly maligned as a food and cooking product - I wonder if the same misconceptions were applied to palm oil?
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
I was just reading an article about the carbon footprint made by palm oil plantations in SE Asia. Yikes!
Fortunately, I don't think anybody is planning on cutting down tall-stature forest (that is, forest that wasn't cut down ~100-500 years ago) to plant oil palms here though.
Do you need to register or anything?
No need to register, just come if interested. We are doing scientific based studies to determine the potential value to Hawaii. There are no plans to grow this in our native forests which provide our water reservoirs. Our intent is to see it grown on small holder lots with joint activity to establish community based extraction center. Refining of the fruit oil for cooking can also be a local process. The kernal oil probably should not be eaten but is a very fine oil usable as a machine oil and both oils can be used in making biodiesel. As a cooking oil it can be reprocessed at, for example, the King's Biodiesel plant at Shipman park which gives it a nice dual purpose use. For its health benefits, it is similar to olive oil and has been used for over 4,000 years in the African world. See red palm oil on the web or go to:

http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/ar...m-oil.aspx

We are very interested in establishing a sustainable, home grown product that can provide us with a locally produced fuel and cooking oil and are taking matters to do this into our own hands since there is no desire to invite costly corporate interests into the picture and the University system and state of Hawaii still has not made inroads into the problem of having our own sustainable oil crop.

Remember, Saturday, Feb1, 2-4 pm, UHH University Classroom Building 111.

It's not really like olive oil; it's about equal parts monounsaturated and saturated fat. Olive oil is about 80% monounsaturated.
Is in building 301 ?
dont know my way around the campus the map shows all the building in the 3 hundreds
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

Is in building 301 ?
dont know my way around the campus the map shows all the building in the 3 hundreds

The Universal Classroom Building (UCB) is the largest building on campus. When you come into the parking are from Kawili street at the main entrance, the UCB is in front of and slightly to the left of you.

I