Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
great whites in hawaii
In recent years, I've heard more and more talk about great white sharks in Hawaii. Does anyone have any info, or first hand experience? In Hawaiian legend the mano is very significant, and is even said to have helped lead the Hawaiian people here. Very interesting, considering the fact that great whites are now known to travel very far distances....any thoughts?
There is a great documentary, I think it is called the Great White Highway, or something close to that, that talks about the Great whites long migrations and has a good section on Hawaii.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
a nice map here
http://blog.seattlepi.com/candacewhiting...e-highway/
Very interesting! Great link, has anyone read kon tiki? This seems to give some support to his theory that the Hawaiian people could have originally been from the Americas! The Uala or purple sweet potato is another piece of evidence that connects the Hawaiian people to south America. Very cool link, thank you!
And the Peccary as well

Peccary being smaller than the domestic pig - and introduced much later.

early Hawaiian images /art show a peccary held over a hunters head during a celebration

no way one could lift the us army version of a euro pig....

Peccary's arrived on a canoe from?......

Peccaries, which are native to the Americas, are often confused[4] with the pig family that originated in Afro-Eurasia, especially since some domestic pigs brought by European settlers have escaped over the years and now run wild as "razorback" hogs in many parts of the United States.[5]
In many countries, they are raised on farms and are a source of food for local communities, especially in the developing world.[6] Their skin, being both rigid and strong, as well as soft and supple, is recognized as being ideal for the production of leather gloves.[7]
you make the nicest peccary pie in all of lompox ...
why, i remember when the least little problem put you right to sleep!

The currant belief of anthropologists is that Thor Heyerdahl was completely wrong and that the Polynesians traveled to the Americas, not the other way around. The Polynesians brought pigs here, but they were much closer to the tiny pot bellied pigs than the modern pig. The current Hawaiian pigs are crosses between the Polynesian pigs, Russian boars, and domestic pigs that were turned loose by failed pig farmers during the Hawaiian Kingdom.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
The findings, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, offer more evidence that ancient Polynesians may have interacted with people in South America long before the Europeans set foot on the continent.

"There's been many kinds of evidence – linguistic and archaeological – for contact between these two people," Caroline Rouiller, an evolutionary biologist at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology in France who led the study, tells The Salt. "But the sweet potato is the most compelling."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/01...e-columbus

Fascinating stuff, nice topic.
Smoking gun - north equatorial current:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corrie...anicas.gif

sailing up hill a real drag - grin
quote:
Originally posted by oceangirl

This seems to give some support to his theory that the Hawaiian people could have originally been from the Americas!
It's not just a theory, a man accidentally drifted from Mexico to the Marshall Islands in a small boat - - last week:
http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/castaway-f...ths-later/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves