Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle Road Update
I took some updated pictures of the Saddle Road improvement project. If you want to see the pictures here is the link.

http://aaronstene.blogspot.com/2007/08/s...pdate.html

i usually avoid the saddle, however next time i go to the other side i'm going to check it out

Aloha, Aaron. I have already driven the part between the observatory road and the state park, and it is very nice. I just wonder why they did mile 19 to 28 next instead of the really awful section between the park and the main highway on the Kona side. The Hilo to observatory road part was in good shape, relatively speaking. Any idea why they didn't do the worst parts first?

Thanks,
Jerry

I believe it was because the army purchased the land that was intended to be the new road to the kona side.

True. The Army wants the public OUT of the middle of Pohakuloa Training Area. However, it has been confirmed that PTA is contaminated with Depleted Uranium. That means that every round fired at PTA is potentially dispersing more DU dust into the air (usually blowing Kona-side). Remember that DU particles are not only highly toxic, if you breathe them in, they will irradiate you in your lungs and blood for the rest of your life. Fun stuff.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
The negotiations with the military were key, I know ...
but as for why the Hilo side is so nice, I always assumed that it's to facilitate the travel of observatory employees and others working on Mauna Kea ... as the road was fixed up to the MK access road and then went to hell.

quote:
Aloha, Aaron. I have already driven the part between the observatory road and the state park, and it is very nice. I just wonder why they did mile 19 to 28 next instead of the really awful section between the park and the main highway on the Kona side. The Hilo to observatory road part was in good shape, relatively speaking. Any idea why they didn't do the worst parts first?

Thanks,
Jerry

The next section of roadway that will be re-aligned will be from Mauna Kea State Park to
m.m 42. Kiewit Pacific Company already did
the subgrade work from m.m 37-40.

Next up is completing the subgrade work between m.m 35 and 37 and 40-42. Then after
that it will be paved. The next segments
to be done after that will depend on funding.
Currently it goes like this m.m 6-9, m.m 9-19
and m.m 42 to Mamalahoa Highway.

As to why the Hilo side is being done first
I really can't give an answer why. Except it is welcome because even though the road is acceptable, it doesn't meet ASAHTO standards
(Too many hairpin turns).

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/21/2007 06:49:19
if roads were ailments, Saddle Rd. would be a festering hemorrhoid!!! But that's just my opinion, and we all know the old cliche. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". It's a road my Honda Element nor my back care for. Plus, the 15 minutes or so you save is not worth it to me!

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!