Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone with Tango (LFA) mix for sale?
In HPP, I need to treat some banana plants. I've ground treated with Amdro and have a couple "hotspots" in banana clumps I've found.

I've read an old thread where people were selling Tango (mixed and ready to spray) for $25. I would be interested.

Or interested to find a couple people to split the whole thing. At CPS it was $640 for the 2.5 gallon (I think it was 2.5). I've never mixed it though.

In the meantime, I will probably make some "dry" Amdro bait traps for the trees and bananas.

By the way, the Amdro seemed to work great under the house. I'll hit them again this weekend.

This will not help as much, but there is a new(er) Amdro that has both the larval inhibitor of Tango AND the old Amdro...This was in a bag marked Amdro "Firestrike" newer bags are Amdro Yard Treatment.

For our bananas, I have just tossed scoops of the bait up into the banana (aiming for the bunches & leaf clusters (also tossing the product up into our orchard trees)...have only done this 2X during the last year, but the ants are way down in the orchard (which had no ant decrease when I trail or ground treated with the older product)
I haven't seen that product. I've seen the orange Firestrike bag (not Amdro), which isn't good for LFAs. It treats mounds, and uses a different chemical not as effective.

Where did you see it? I've been to Garden Ex, HD and the chemical supply places but nobody mentioned it.
The orange bag is a Terro product, and not for the LFAs

The Amdro bag is Black, the one with the Firestike has a big dead red-gold ant... The newer bag is also black, has a silver grey circle in the middle with "Amdro " across the middle, the gold/red dead ant above & "kILLS FIRE ANTS yard treatment bait" on the bottom of the circle

Both bags have .036 hydramethylon (Amdro jug bait insecticide) and .017 S-Methoprene (Tango larval inhibitor)

Purchase at Ace (we LOVE the 20% bag sales, like last Sat.)
I had a fire ant invasion a couple of days ago (the big ones). I didn't have any fresh amdro (it goes bad) and didn't feel like going to Wallyworld. I mixed peanutbutter, melted butter and boric acid and placed it in two lids. They went for it and it killed them off in a couple of days. It might work in a can or something of the sort tacked in a tree. I didn't measure but my boric acid ratio was pretty high.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
If you know what the ants are eating, put spinosad on it and it should kill them... I put it on apples around the house and it appears to kill all manner of ants. You just have to get them to eat it, and carry it back to the nest also. This is a natural option (although someone said it can also harm bees)
USDA test on orchard control of LFA's using the old jug Amdro, Esteem & Conserve:
https://ars.usda.gov/research/publicatio...115=212738

Conserve was better than no treatment, the old Amdro & Esteem were much more effective in LFA control (Conserve is a trade package of spinosad)
"significantly higher" could mean 4%- which might not mean much- since with a natural application, you could put it out there monthly and not worry about the environment (study was for 12 weeks out). I suppose that some people will be out there throwing Andro around monthly as well- but it doesn't seem very safe!
I have Tango, and am happy to sell a portion at cost. You would have to make the mix yourself, though, because my understanding is that once it's mixed, it needs to be used fairly quickly. You need oil, xanthan gum, and peanut butter, according to the recipe.
Farmers Supply Coop is now selling Tango in 1 pint containers for $50, still expensive, but easier to swallow than a full 2.5 gal container at over $600!

Farmers Supply Coop has also moved to 60 Holomua St in Hilo