Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sale of Safeway announced
L.A. Times:

Albertsons parent Cerberus Capital Management is setting its sights on the grocery throne currently occupied by Kroger, buying up rival Safeway Inc. in a deal valued at more than $9 billion.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la...z2vETioYOn
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
"If" it's approved....I wonder if the name will change?
Private equity firms are very popular these days; they're exempt from many of the requirements that apply to "public" entities.

The upside is that Safeway will probably not change much.
I suspect the store name (safeway) will not be changed but the Lucern (SP)(safeway brand) Will be changed to Krogger and it's products.

I think it will be treated like longs. Longs name CVS owned and Branded products. Tho, I doubt much will change unless the new owners don't like dealing with Hawaii. Maybe the gas will be even CHEAPER?

I've been in Albertsons stores. They are pretty nice from what I remember. Can you say Monopoly?
As far as Hawaiian grocery stores go, I cannot wait for Whole Foods to get here and put the 'snatch out of business...
quote:
I've been in Albertsons stores. They are pretty nice from what I remember. Can you say Monopoly?

Albertson's includes the chain formerly known as Alpha Beta; they kept the name after merging.