Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you drive?
I had a 2WD '89 Nissan pickup that was near-perfect when we lived in Hilo a couple of years back (save for the clearance - couldn't handle the potholes on some of the rougher backroads). Gotta say, I still miss that truck!

Now we're thinking about shipping out Subaru Outback over in June for our return but I'm still vascillating about clearance issues - we like to go to a lot of out-of-the-way places. Trying to think of some not-too-big rigs with good gas mileage, clearance, AND enough seating for coolers/family/guests...basically a unicorn.

I am also looking for my parents who are Kona-side on a fairly steep coffee farm. Thinking Mom's Prius just won't do. Smile
Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4?

Good people of Puna, what are your thoughts?
I don't think that a CR-V or a Rav4 would do it for you. They aren't really made for much more than a few inches of snow. I have an 06 CR-V - but don't take it anywhere off-road. Too many expensive parts hanging down and just not enough clearance.
I also have a 01 Dodge Ram 4x4 shortbed with slightly over-sized tires. That works great to go anywhere you want. The shortbed makes for a much better turning radius. Have an older Camry 4 cylinder for daily street use and better gas mileage.
95' Geo Tracker 4X4. LOVE IT! Heads down to Waipio no problem, also handles the muddy Hamakua backroads and fords river crossings like a champ. I don't worry about rollovers as I make sure I drive cognizant of the fact that it is prone to them. She's a trooper, when I moved here I knew I wanted either a Sidekick or a Tracker.

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
We have had both an older Ford Ranger Xcab & older Sport Trac we just added, both have gone on some of the roughest (all the way on Mana, Green Sands, Waipio Overlook...etc) BUT not really great gas mileage (have a compact manual tran for the Hilo to Kona stuff) ... (Added: the whys on the 2 older Ford trucks? they were inexpensive here & in good condition for the $)

Before, when we didn't have to have the extra vehicle, just had the high MPG car (with a hitch for a tray or the small light trailer) that we used for everything....but we wouldn't have driven on Mana all the way, and walked to Green Sands...

Re: Kona, there is a Rav4 EV in Kona that does those steep inclines like a goat (our little car is dusted by that one!) have no idea if the Prius has the same umph, but if it does...tallyho
I drive between 400 and 480 yards depending on the wind.
Wao nahele Kane, very impressive distance you referenced. You must be on a runway using a 7 iron? (BUMP)
I have a 2011 CRV, and live in Hawaiian Acres-I cruise through about 1/2 mile of nasty dirt roads between home and everywhere else. BUT it doesn't do well in mud, or gravel, or anything slippery.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Mazda 3 40 MPG paved roads !!

My friends in Orchidland come visit here !
H3 SUT, super versatile - unstoppable offroad.
2012 ford f350 diesel,it goes anywhere with ease.