Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gravel or lava rock delivery
Hello all,

The house in Paauilo is in terrific shape, with the exception of some beatback and a little mx work. One of the things We will need to do is to level out under the post and pier foundation, and make sure it drains a little better than it does now. I was thinking of grading it to drain away (of course) then putting gravel and perhaps some French Drains. Would lining under the house with either gravel or cinders be a good idea, or would it just wash away with the first rains? I also have some paths through a gulch that have been overrun. There is wild coffee in the gulch, so I would like to keep it shaded, but would like some clear paths, what would you line it with? I was thinking ground cloth and perhaps cinders, river rock would be a ton of work, but look great. Any tips for good folks to deliver river rock, cinder or gravel?

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!
Would advise against river rock, it gets mossy and slick as snot.
Ahhh, Good point. Nix the river rock!

We have a yard in Kea`au that had plastic ground cloth (with some Mylar bulk macadamia nut bags thrown in)....I would definitely advise against either of those, as weed roots will actually set along the underside of the ground cloth through any puka or edge....and any ground cloth has only a limited life here, then you start having pukas...and the cycle of life!

Another down side is that the ground cloth will also trap moisture & areas with the cloth get a really rank anaerobic rot smell,,, I have been working to get the various pieces out (think of digging up a 1/4 ac. of disintegrating plastic with various roots mixed in & odd smells emanating... obviously we only do a bit of it at a time...truly an UCCCKKKYYY job...
cinders can wash away as they are very light weight. ok for very flat, but i prefer 3/4 base gravel. I have used some for paths thru the jungle, it works well. just add a little more as it compacts naturally
Do you have little fire ants at your new place? You don't want them... Not sure if anyone guarantees fire ant free cinder or other - but that would be the first question I asked before having anything delivered by anybody... Heard several horror stories about having LFA hitching in.
Honestly, I doubt that anyone can guarantee that your fill will be free of any pest. LFA is so common now that just the equipment like a dump truck or a D9, etc...etc... can be hitching a ride.

It is a sad reality now, best to just spray the crap out of it to be sure. Since the real question is... That hibiscus your neighbor just planted was probably infested and it's only a matter of time. Most people have no clue.
Geochem,
What happens when LFA jump off a visitors car into your driveway, got a plan for that too? No denying it, Punatalk is a great resource for laughs.
Depending on where you are at you might not be able to grade the ground away much. Is there a standing water issue?
Filter Rock - This is what we use.It is inch an half rock with no fines,and 4 to 6 inches deep allows the water to run right through,you may want to trench also,so runs away from house depending on grade.
Cinder is nothing but problematic ,unless it is the blue rock red cinder in large chunks.
We prefer inch an half filter rock from the pit in Kea'au but Yamada has same .

Call Derick Figueroa at 964 - 5709 as he has dump trucks and is close to you up that side.