Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
webcams on Puu'oo
I can not for the life of me figure out where they actually are. Can someone who works up there please include a diagram of where the camera is actually placed, and a cone going out from it, to show the area that is included in the webshot? This would be oh so helpful! Mahalo in advance! I look at the webshots all the time and just get so confused. It says the camera is at puuoo and facing "this or that way", but how is it sitting on an actively erupting vent??
Great Puna related questions Julie. I also catch myself going to those webcams everyday or two for weather updates in those areas. Sometimes you will see snow on the Maunaloa cams, or rain at the summit or Puu'oo. The placing of the cameras are amazing and well thought out hopefully for safety reasons. Volcanologists do get up close and personal with these vents edges, and put these cameras upwind yet view different directions (east, west, north, and south.) All this being written is still only my opinions of something I really know little about though, just trying to help. Maybe others here can chime in and share their camera or volcano insight?. P.S. Thought it would be cool to go to those camera locations at the summit, they may be live shots?. I see tourists enjoying the views, pointing and overlooking one of mother natures greatest majestic mysteries. Maybe drone camera flights could be very informative or spactacular in the future of camera's and volcano's?.
The HVO photos and videos page currently has some pictures of the webcams at Puu Oo, which are recently being threatened of being overrun by lava. In fact, if you browse back in time in that multimedia chronology, you will see the webcams are occasionally seen in the photos, although not necessarily featured.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/?display=default
So the picture of the flow burning the forest, is taken by a camera below the lava flow and pointing back up (west) towards the Puu'oo? thanks
Most of the pictures on the multimedia page are taken by the HVO staff during their helicopter overflights, either on the ground or from the helicopter. Some of the pictures on the multimedia page are from automated cameras, either special setups deployed to capture specific events, or excerpts from the webcams that were so good they warranted being posted on the multimedia page.

There are no pictures taken below a lava flow, as that would be a very hot place to be Smile

I think the picture you are referring to is from a helicopter, east of the flow, looking west, with the burning forest in the foreground and Puu Oo in the background. For example http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/upload...le-641.jpg
Can someone please tell me where the camera is that is showing the lava flow advance? One of the webcams says that this is what it is monitoring, but I cannot figure out where it is. Please refrain from using East, west, south or north- since it is very confusing. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

Can someone please tell me where the camera is that is showing the lava flow advance? One of the webcams says that this is what it is monitoring, but I cannot figure out where it is. Please refrain from using East, west, south or north- since it is very confusing. Thanks.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/cams/panorama.php?cam=R3cam
Yes, this is the camera I am talking about. I still have no idea where exactly it is, or what i am looking at when I view the image. I do not want to look at it for one day. I'd like to monitor it on my computer from home. Thanks
And more specifically, when you look at the webcam image- is the leading/forest edge of the flow- to the right or to the left. I always see areas of burning, but do not know where these areas are.
OK, thankyou, so, when you look at he picture, is it the left part that is closest to Hawaiian Acres?