Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rats
they seem to come out in april .... cold water this am - banged on the flash heater in frustration - and a rat came out... some days you cant win for loosing - grin
Bullwinkle, You may need to get a good cat or keep banging things and hope they run. Just had a very good friend get very sick, nearly died and he is 35 years old. He had come in contact with Lepto, But where?. His home is in Lielani, he works as a farmer in Opihikao, and he does a lot of coconut tree climbing. His temperature rose to 104 degrees and his kidneys shut down within days. Thankfully he was rushed to queens on Oahu and was a strong 35 who does not drink alcohol and is a vegetarian, so still very strong and healthy. The doctor there said many cases of Lepto are being reported on the big ISLE. Anyone here no much about this rat carrying disease?. My friend is born and raised here and never had this before, same here I have never had something so awful. The doctor on Oahu told him that once you get this lepto you cant get it again, is this true?. Everyone should set a few traps and try not feeding your cats a few days to see if this rat population can be curved a bit. My friend still has not really recovered completely and has lost a lot of weight so we are crossing our fingers he can shake this.
The humane society vaccinated my dog for lepto for free when I adopted him.
I second the cat[s] method.
I got a rescue cat, fixed female, and the very first day I brought her home she brought me a rat. This cat is a huntress, patrolling the perimeter like a soldier.
No more rats on my roof. No more rats in my garden.
Best investment I've made lately.
Leptospirosis has been around for decades.
A friend of mine somehow contracted it while clearing brush in his place, and just as Gypsy said, he had to be flown out to Queen's in critical condition.
It's spread by rat urine, and is a bacterial infection, causes jaundice, etc...

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Its a annual thing - this year worst than most - lots of lots being cleared is my guess - have traps out - have seen very few ....cept the one in the flash heater

just opened it up - she - the rat - did me a favor by chewing through the overheat safety switch wire - allowed me to find the start of a nest in the flu..... we will not be needing the fire department......thats the upside

love that little butane soldering iron.......
That's pretty scary. I'm going to put more poison out now. My other bait was "taken". HOpefully back to some nest to kill more of them.
We dont poison Id rather set traps and fix a water heater or tail light wire than have raptor fatalities on my karma - personal choice

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis

Bacteria caught by

"There are ten different types of Leptospira that cause disease in humans.[6] It is transmitted by both wild and domestic animals.[5] The most common animals that spread the disease are rodents.[7] It is often transmitted by animal urine or water containing animal urine coming into contact with breaks in the skin, the eyes, mouth, nose or vagina.[4][7]"
I used to have lots of rats until I got a male cat. He kills them all.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
I believe humans can catch it - animals can be vaccinated - my dogs are and poeple get an immunity

Im a firm believer what doesnt kill you makes you stronger - we have plague in rats in my mainland cabin.... really bad news

I understand from my vet: Lepto needs a water puddle or pond to make the jump - so its rat or pig to urinating to standing puddles that fouls the water- avoid drinking the puddles and we are good to go