Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today
Today is Memorial Day. Honor your neighbor veteran, take the time to visit those veterans who are are bedridden, or those who did not come home defending our freedoms today, as well as outside of this day set aside by our government. You may not agree with the government, but the veterans gave their all to assure your freedom!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
Memorial day in my world is always a day to remember all the casualties of all wars - soldiers and civilians ....

lots of carnage in our collective past - let us remember all the victims and pledge an end to violence as a way to resolve differences between nations (corporations in reality)

the worst loses coming from prolonged meaningless conflict - when did we as a nation win our last war? - so much senseless waste of life in all these prolonged military adventures - how much more PTSD do we need / want in our society? the gift that keeps on giving.....

Lets honor our military by keeping them out of harms way......those young folks are our future - instead sending them into the meat grinders of foreign intervention with no real results to show for their sacrifices..........
Please do not confuse VETERANS day and MEMORIAL day.

Great to respect your soldiers on all days, but do not get the two days mixed up.
You are correct, Oneself. Memorial Day is to honor those that have fallen, Veterans Day is to honor the living that have given their all. I choose to honor our veterans on both days by supporting the living veterans on this day of rememberance to their brothers that have fallen, and to honor their service for our freedoms on Veterans Day.

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
Today, Memorial Day, brings to mind all the young men who refused to fight for wars that the government mandated. Many of my friends and relatives went to jail, or had to flee the country and their lives, simply in order to avoid killing people with whom they had no argument, particularly the people of Vietnam. I honor these young men, now older men, and I have always been in awe of their courage, their commitment. These are the heroes, although they are never honored. I also remember on this day the words of Albert Einstein:

“The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service.”

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

Great to respect your soldiers on all days, but do not get the two days mixed up.

why the not?...someone sent to fight and possibly never return, under the pretence of protecting freedom..not!...deserves and is entitled our warm thoughts at any given moment
quote:
Originally posted by Frank

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

why the hell not?...someone sent to fight and possibly never return, under the pretence of protecting freedom..not!...deserves and is entitled our warm thoughts at any given moment

forgot hell in the why the...
quote:
Originally posted by maud gonne

Today, Memorial Day, brings to mind all the young men who refused to fight for wars that the government mandated. Many of my friends and relatives went to jail, or had to flee the country and their lives, simply in order to avoid killing people with whom they had no argument, particularly the people of Vietnam. I honor these young men, now older men, and I have always been in awe of their courage, their commitment. These are the heroes, although they are never honored. I also remember on this day the words of Albert Einstein:

“The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service.”

I'm sorry but draft dodgers are not heroes they're criminals.

You want ideological differences?
How about the Americans who were thrown into concentration camps by their own government simply because of ethnicity?
How about those same concentration camp inmates volunteering to fight against "people with whom they had no argument?" (Germany didn't attack the USA)

The 100th Battalion & the 442nd Regimental Combat Team were comprised of people deemed by the government to be "enemy aliens" yet these soldiers fought with distinction as befits their honorable heritage.

Today is a time to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. Attempting to "honor" draft dodgers here today is an insult to those who willingly volunteered and died while serving our nation.

Hats off for all our fallen heroes.

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Delta9r...your not implying that the 20+ interventions around the world. by the USA since 1945 is about OUR FREEDOM...are ya?...and if not "for freedom" why serve willingly?????
Did you read the word "FREEDOM" anywhere within my post?

No, so that's a fail, and a miserable one at that.

How about you honor those who gave their lives in service of our nation? That's what today is all about, not the legal aspects of why. Do you pay taxes? If so, then you support the wars.