Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to buy a lawn mower?
Our Toro mower we got from HD about a year ago died. I did some online research and the feedback was that model is garbage and trying to fix it would just be a money pit.

I went to Sears and after searching forever for a "customer service" agent, discovered they don't actually sell mowers, they just display models that can be ordered.

I went to HD and other than Toro mowers all they have are really expensive ones.

Where to buy a mower without driving to Kona?
We bought ours from Sears. Ordering big items is just part of the island way of life.
The question is how long will it take, whether the model you want is in stock on Oahu or has to be shipped from the mainland. If the former, it's not a long wait.

ETA, actually we have bought three from Sears over the years -- two push models and one riding mower. The two push style power mowers lasted for a really long time considering all the abuse they took.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

We bought ours from Sears. Ordering big items is just part of the island way of life.
The question is how long will it take, whether the model you want is in stock on Oahu or has to be shipped from the mainland. If the former, it's not a long wait.

ETA, actually we have bought three from Sears over the years -- two push models and one riding mower. The two push style power mowers lasted for a really long time considering all the abuse they took.

Our Toro mower we got from HD about a year ago died. I did some online research and the feedback was that model is garbage and trying to fix it would just be a money pit.

I went to Sears and after searching forever for a "customer service" agent, discovered they don't actually sell mowers, they just display models that can be ordered.

I went to HD and other than Toro mowers all they have are really expensive ones.

You must have just got one with a defect. I bought a Torro at HD almost four years ago, and it won't die no matter what I do to it. Stalled it on rocks, flipped it over while running on steep grades, smoke blowing out exhaust. It's immortal. It will never die.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Stoddard

You must have just got one with a defect. I bought a Torro at HD almost four years ago, and it won't die no matter what I do to it. Stalled it on rocks, flipped it over while running on steep grades, smoke blowing out exhaust. It's immortal. It will never die.

Hunt - I had the best Toro mower that everyone was jealous of & I was rough on it too. Lasted 6 years; I hit one too many rocks & bent the shaft!!! I had no idea that could happen - be careful, it was trash after that.
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

Hunt - I had the best Toro mower that everyone was jealous of & I was rough on it too. Lasted 6 years; I hit one too many rocks & bent the shaft!!! I had no idea that could happen - be careful, it was trash after that.

http://www.steveshonda.com/page/page/5733103.htm

check, Steve's Honda Hilo Hi. facebook page

Sears, clearance sales, friends & family night, often have lawnmowers that have been returned, on sale.
Also, re finding a floor agent, Sears.com now allows you to buy online and pick it up at the store. No shipping charge added, although there might be a Hawai'i surcharge that would also be on in stock store items.

The online system also allows you to check whether it is in the store, thus saving you the trip where you wait for service only to find out it is not there.

With Sears, on a big purchase of something that will get hard use, I do buy that covers everything warranty. I've used it over the years and it's saved me a lot of money on repairs.

I would not buy from Lowe's, or any business that is west side only, because if there is a defect or accident, first thing you have to do is spend a tank of gas and a full day taking it over there.
Don't trust Sear's online store inventory checker. On several occasions the online site said an item was in stock at the Hilo store, so I entered credit card info to purchase. You're then told to wait for a confirmation email before picking up. And then the next day I got emails saying "the order has been cancelled because the item is not available at your store."