Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a new weed whacker
I need a new gas weedwhacker or trimmer or whatever else they are calling themselves these days.

What do you recommend? Why?

thanks punawebbers
I have been using a Husqvarna 225 L straight shaft. Lots of low end torque, good balance, smallest of the "blade" type. I personally use the nylon tooth 3 blade attachment when needed, but the heavy duty nylon .095 Echo brand 8 blade string grinds through just about anything with it if you take bites to avoid string wrap around. The advantage of a straight shaft is there is no rub on the drive cable, hence more power to the head assembly, and as long as you keep the head greased up, you are good to go. Have had it clearing 25 acres of dense Sierra brush on through commercial use for about 12 years now, and now more heavy brush is planned. I believe Steve's Power Equipment in Hilo (Honda shop) is the place. Take analysis of what you have to chew up, and start from there with a high end commercial type. If you want to raise the tree canopy, try the Stihl HT 101 power pole pruner. Makes you feel like Luke Skywalker with a light saber!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
Forgot to add it is extremely important to use an ethanol free gasoline. Be sure that if a common nozzle for all grades that any other fuel dispensed from pump does not contain ethanol either, as cross contamination will occur. Ethanol creates hot spots, which shortens the life of a small engine, and the lubricating oil you add to the gas will not blend properly with it, possibly leading to seizure from running hot and no lubrication. Ask where you buy from where they recommend if you have no luck on your own.

There is a huge thread about weed whackers in the farming section.
Echo from HD has worked very well for me. My opinion only, of course, but... get an auto-feed head, not a bare head with heavy line like seem to be popular around here. That seems to be popular here, but for me it sucks. Shindaiwa are great if you feel like dropping six hundred for a weed whacker, but remember, it's a weed whacker. It's going to die just like any other weed whacker, or get stolen. If you're spending more than $400 for a w/w you should probably have a good reason for doing so. Go mid level on a good brand, straight shaft. There is a special place in hell for people who sell curved shaft weed whackers. My thoughts. YMMV.
In agreement with straight shaft.

A warranty is cool. The place you bought it has local rep and does the repairs on the machine you bought. If and when you can fix minor problems power to you but when something goes wrong its nice to get quick help.

I recommend a stihl or the shindaiwa. I'd buy it from garden exchange.
I personally like the stihl FS 250, but it is a little pricy. I'd go look at the models they have in person and see clearly the specs vs pricetag. I know that they offer an extended 2 yr warranty when you buy extra oil which you're gonna need anyways at some point right?

Shindaiwa's are a good, what I would consider as a "low end" (economy price/build) along with Echo as far as commercial type use. Stihl and Husqvarna equipment is the more rugged build, going to last at a rental yard type of commercial use equipment. The Stihl likes to run at a higher RPM for maximum efficiency, while the Husqvarna has a bit lower "top end" to torque it's way through material. As mentioned, buy a six pack or two of the pre mix oil while there, extra grease for the head assembly, new safety glasses, and lots of string!!

I have been very happy with my 2 Echo SRM 225 with the shoulder harness and the wide handlebars. This makes a much better combination for more than a few minutes job. My 5' tall wife can even use these. I got 2 so I could put a metal, etc. blade on 1, but have never gotten around to doing so - too many rocks, metal posts, etc.

Allen
Finally in HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
After going through several weed whackers in the hundred dollar range I bought a Husqvarna 224L. It has a 25cc motor and is 4 cycle. No oil mixing, quieter running, and durable. That was 12 years ago. It is still going strong. I change oil on it fairly often it only takes a couple minutes of less effort than loading the trimmer line. I use it hard. I see them on Amazon for $349. The ease of use and durability with good power would inspire me to buy one again.
My alltime favorite one though was the secondhand straight shaft Tanaka that got stolen. It weighed less than the 224L and I could cut down a patch of 1 and 1/2" diameter saplings with a saw blade on it.
+1 on the stihl fs130R. It is a beast and will take down anything under small tree size.