Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo Attorneys
Can anyone recommend a good lawyer for writing up wills? Is this "Family Law"? Thank you!
Hi, no, Family Law is divorce and custody and so forth.

You want Estate Planning law -- wills, trusts, probate.
I don't have a recommendation, but that's where you look. Some attorneys will overlap specialties of course.
Thanks, Kathy. Aloha
e mail me

geoffrey wells
geoffrey wells
The problem with creating a will is that is has to go thru probate, which lessens the amount of whatever you are leaving your loved ones. A living trust will allow you to have more control over what happens after your gone, and eliminate the probate. There are some really informative books at the library that can give you a good handle on what to do. We saw an attorney today concerning our estate planning, Peter Kubota. We liked him, and he seemed to want to help us save money in the process.
Seems like the right of survivorship on a joint title would be even less effort/expense.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer.
Paul Booth.. is damn good.. and many times cheaper.. i.e. driven by reality not greed.. than the competition.
Hilo Law Center,
Andrew Iwa ****a.
Estate planning isn't a one size fits all kind of deal. (I had to take a semester long course in it when getting my paralegal certification, most tedious class in the program, but lots to know.)

Nolo has a lot of online information that is a useful read.
This page
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/living-trusts
has links to FAQS and to articles on the side menus. I was trying to find one of their attorney written articles that I've seen, but I got this page and from there one can find other info.

Peter Kubota is good, used his services for some real estate title transfer details some years back.

A living trust does not replace a will.
Nolo has some do it yourself programs for sale for such things. A good thing about Nolo is they customize their info for the different states.

I think it is useful to do some homework before going to an attorney, as it cuts down on the time it takes for attorney to explain the law to you at hundreds of dollars per hour if you bother to learn the basics. It can also help you know what intelligent questions to ask. It can help you recognize what if anything is a little tricky or unusual about your situation.
My family uses Peter Kubota. Also Andrew Iwa****a is good. I know both personally for decades. Peter from Hilo High. His father was a judge. Andrew is a relative. Both good guys.

where **** = sh$t and where $ = i