Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target shooting
Anyone know a secluded spot to go and do some target shooting in lower puna? Usually go to a spot with my friends in Papaikou but if there's a spot in puna would be great, haven't shot my 50cal deserteagle pistol in awhile.
Maybe try call Bryson Cinder guys and get permission from them to shoot when they are on weekend schedule when no one but the guard is there on the job site.
Another suggestion is go hike out on the lava flows down past Kalapana and hike out bout a mile,but not in national park and have a blast.No one out there for miles .

Good Luck
North Kulani has a range. Go to the end of North Kulani turn left toward the prison and drive about 3/4 of a mile. The first road going off to the right I believe is called Flume Road. Last time I was there the road sign was gone. It can be identified by a bright red arrow spay painted on the road pointing down Flume Road. It's a dirt road and if you pass the designated Motorcycle / ATV Area, you've gone way to far. If you drive down Flume Road a couple miles you'll see on the right, a dug out banked shooting range that the prison guards used to use. I see HPD officers out there shooting occasionally. It's also where several instructors teach hunter safety classes. If I remember correctly the area is called the upper Waikea hunting area. Wear your orange hunter safety vest as the DLNR does patrol out in this area.
Maybe i'm absurd but isn't there some ax
Mimosa & Big Island, thanks for the info. When I was young and growing up on this island,there was lots of places to go shooting,sadly not anymore.
Not to change the subject, but can you tell me more about the area you mention for riding dirt bikes? I had been thinking about getting a dirt bike, but wouldn't want to ride anywhere where it's not legal. I understand riding in HPP would not be legal, though I see dirt bikes and atv's riding around here often. The area you mention is off of Flume Road? Is there a sign, or?

quote:
Originally posted by Big_Island

North Kulani has a range. Go to the end of North Kulani turn left toward the prison and drive about 3/4 of a mile. The first road going off to the right I believe is called Flume Road. Last time I was there the road sign was gone. It can be identified by a bright red arrow spay painted on the road pointing down Flume Road. It's a dirt road and if you pass the designated Motorcycle / ATV Area, you've gone way to far. If you drive down Flume Road a couple miles you'll see on the right, a dug out banked shooting range that the prison guards used to use. I see HPD officers out there shooting occasionally. It's also where several instructors teach hunter safety classes. If I remember correctly the area is called the upper Waikea hunting area. Wear your orange hunter safety vest as the DLNR does patrol out in this area.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Some info on Shooting clubs & ranges in the "Golden Oldies" (using the search!)

Shooting Ranges link:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14266

Older thread, all about firearms here, and some attitudes added!:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11827

I understand riding in HPP would not be legal

Off-topic ... if you are signatory to the CC&R, it's a contract issue, otherwise this "legality" has not been tested in court.
There's an ATV 'park' up there off Stainback. Used to be a sign, don't know if there still is. I've driven through, and it's a pretty, forested area with defined trails. There may be undefined trails, too--we were in a truck, not ATV so couldn't explore too much.

In the map book, it appears that the road runs through to or near Saddle Road, so we explored it as a shortcut. Unfortunately, the bridge fell long time ago. It looked like some big 4WD trucks were able to drive through anyway, and ATVs might too.

quote:
Originally posted by birdmove

Not to change the subject, but can you tell me more about the area you mention for riding dirt bikes? I had been thinking about getting a dirt bike, but wouldn't want to ride anywhere where it's not legal. I understand riding in HPP would not be legal, though I see dirt bikes and atv's riding around here often. The area you mention is off of Flume Road? Is there a sign, or?
Jon in Keaau/HPP

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Hey Birdmove you can get some very dirtworthy street legal enduro bikes. I just sold my husky te 510 it would do better in the dirt than I could do.KTM makes a few as well and even suzuki dr 400 with DOT knobbies will do dirty and streety duty just fine.May as well ride it to the trail IMO.I plan on getting a tw 200 yamaha soon after getting to B.I.They are like a billy goat not to fast but will get you there like nothing else on 2 or 4 wheels.