Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats biting
[url][/url] Cant wait to wet a line on the B.I. first goal is a papio. Then ono. I'd also like to tangle with a kaku and what I hear is the true trophy ulua. I would be willing to spend the time to catch some o'io. I will be happy to catch what ever is biting that day. I mostly catch photo and release. I do however make a killer bouillabaisse. so keeping a few for the pot is acceptable. I Always put back the trophy's and over fished species. I would appreciate some local company on my first excursions. I dont think I want to end up in the wrong spots and upset any one. I have shared knowledge and techniques and my best spots with newbie fisherman my whole life. I feel confident my good deeds will be returned by some of you puna fisherman. mehalos in advance for any info or invites. I arrive July 8 and will be available to fish as much as possible until I find work and then any time I'm not working. Feel free to email me through Puna web or leave message on this thread mehalo again. P.S..Gypsy, got a couple of those woolrich shirts for you to pick from packed and will be in lealani for the first 8 days or so, Hopefully not to close to that damn (PARTY ROOSTER)[Big Grin]
Im always catching the invasive snapper.
That would be a good one for the pot rainyjim. . I think their on the list for ciguatera or however you spell that nasty stuff. Do you eat them?
Yeah dip in a batter and fry it up in some coconut / sesame oil

Heres some pics: https://m.imgur.com/a/2Vo7y
Ono and yellow fin tuna are biting right now on south side. Papio, kaku, and oio always are around and bite based on tide.

You ever heard of Jim rizzuto? His book series Fishing Hawaiin Style will give you the best start... Good luck!
just bought a 7.5 lbs Ahi @ suisan for 1.99 a lbs. Smile Sliced and Diced it into some tempura batter. Oh my gosh! Smile Of course we have half still left in the fridge.
Man I wanna get out there and catch something.....
Nice fish rainy jim and it looks like they were delicious. Holokai, I have heard of M.R. Rizzuto and his books I plan on taking a look at them, I heard good things about him and his books before.
Fishing should be good around the Puna coastline this month. I like to go with a little moon at night either down lighthouse, wa'wa, or Opihikao. I usually take shrimp, ika, or ama crab for bait, catch plenty of eels and usually lose plenty lead or rocks. What is a good bait to use? Anyone want to share any secret spots or fishing techniques that could help the lost like myself? Mahalo.