Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasive lizard spotted
A few days ago I spotted an ugly looking brown lizard that I've never seen before at Rossette's Nursery. So I looked it up and it's most likely a Brown Anole. The species is widespread in Oahu. I have a friend that lives in Kailua and he told me that's the only kind of lizard he sees around there now. Apparently they are very aggressive and drive the other lizards and geckos away. There's a lot of those pretty green gold dust geckos where I live. I hope they don't come down here and drive them away. I know this is favoring one invasive species over another but the Brown Anoles are really ugly.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/columnists...=123008863
Isnt it just the common Anole that is green normally and turns brown when frightened or attacked? I've seen the Anole here for maybe 10 years now.
quote:
Originally posted by WillyHunglo

Isnt it just the common Anole that is green normally and turns brown when frightened or attacked? I've seen the Anole here for maybe 10 years now.

No it's a related but different species. The brown anoles don't change color and are larger than the green ones.

http://archives.starbulletin.com/2006/11...aline.html
Does it have a curly tail that curls up ? If so, its very invasive, they nearly have wiped out the beautiful green anoles in South Florida.

I had a neighbor that used to smash them with a croquet hammer, but its no use, they will take over.
all lizards are invasive if you want to get technical...

maybe one of the 5 different skinks and at least 2 of the nocturnal geckos of the 8 different gecko species here came with the canoes....
but no land reptiles now naturalized are endemic or indigenous

Oahu has 3 different anole species Knight, Brown and Carolina (Green), we have one on the Big Island, the Carolina Anole aka 'green anole' (that can be found in many colors but always has that white design down the back... the brown anole is smaller will usually have a slight crest on back and a design on the sides, always brown and the dewlap is a darker orange,..... the Knight anole is huge, green, with a huge head, and its from Cuba, it can eat birds

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
PS. both of the Day Geckos we have here in HI are stronger than both the Brown and Carolina anoles and will drive them away, and the Day Geckos will eat all of the 5 different noctural geckos species we have, if they can catch them. I used to breed many different species of the Day Geckos (Phelsuma) when I was in NorCal... they are more aggressive than the anoles and males are very territorial.

This is the lizard I'm thinking of - http://www.wildflorida.com/wildlife/liza...Lizard.php
Thanks bananahead for the great info but I don't know about the gold dust gecko (Phelsuma laticauda) being more aggressive than the anoles. I seem to have more green anoles than gold dust geckos around my house. Anyway I hope the brown anole does not take over here as it has on Oahu. It is one ugly lizard.

It's a shame that these invasives are being brought here mainly by nurseries.
Well they have different habits being that the geckos climb on the ceilings walls ect. So I am thinking that they can co-exist.

as long as they don't start eating the myna birds it's all good. I'm always watching the lizards battle it out. About the only ones really loosing out are the brown gecko's that make that loud chirping noise. Hardly hear it. Just once in awhile.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX