Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
motercycle mechanic
Got an old tw 200 yamaha 1992 it runs well tracks nice no real problems. I would like to have it given the once over by a good wrench monkey. The turn signals only work when they feel like it thats the only issue I have currently. I have a new front sprocket I would like put on as well. Please tell me I don't have to DRIVE TO HILO. MAHALO
If your wrench worthy, try motorcyclespecs.co.za/ for all the info you need. Check for corrosion on switch slide on you turn signals. Switch is first to go.

Community begins with Aloha
Thanks Tink not much of a wrench myself I gave that switch all the love I could
cleaned out the inside real good. Must be in the harness some where else. I always felt better having an experienced mechanic work on them although some of them have sucked and charge a fortune.
There is this guy in Pahoa:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mcy/4549983033.html

The ad doesn't show much of a map. I'd call and get directions.

There is also someone in HPP that works our of his house. CVan't remember exactly where. I'd have to ride by it. If I do, I'll write his number down.

The TW is a pretty unique motorcycle. Are those fat tires hard to come by? Seems like a great bike for the big island.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
all the wires are color coded so its hard not to get them right,wd-40 connections and make sure their pluged in good,also check the back side of the bulbs (socket) I've seen them get crap in them and short, one bulb can make the system not work,get a shop manuel the more you learn and do your self the cheaper it gets,and you don't have to worry about field failures as much .....
MAHALO Bird and GP good advise all around. Tires not hard to come by just not alot of choices. Yes I'm hoping t dub is good choice for B.I. I sold a husky TE 510 before the move and had a ktm 625 SMC for a few years before that I figured I wouldn't need one of those competition bikes with lights here and I got a good deal on the yahmi. I will look into the guy in Pahoa, I know By now (I've been riding 30 years)I should be comfortable doing my own work and I do oil change swap handlebars etc. But I would like to know that there is a mechanic who is local and competent and don't mind supporting a local guy I'd like to see local businesses be successful. Again MAHALO for the input. Haven't taken those bulbs out yet that might be the ticket I'll give that a try.
Definitely check the bulb sockets. The speed at which corrosion happens here is astonishing.

ps - was happy to meet you Friday at your new work place!
Thanks dude was good to meet you as well. Can't imagine why things would corrode quickly around here lol.
I'll be 61 on November 1st, and started riding in the early-mid 1960s. Lots of dual sport bikes over the years.Also a number of street bikes. I would like to get another dual sport and explore some here. we do have two scooters, and both can handle the highways at 50-60 mph.
Enjoy that TW!!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Thanks Bird, I hope to do some exploration on the t dub. I'm 48 and been riding 35 years or so, feel like that experience is a must here on the B.I. From what little I've seen here so far I wouldn't want to try and navigate this place as a new rider. Be safe on those scooters.