Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spice rack
I loooove to cook. So much so that I shipped all my dried spices here.

I am having trouble with anything that is a powder (onion powder, garlic powder) and salt, and my salt grinder, clumping up or locking up because of the humidity.

Anyone have any tips or tricks ? Ever tried storing these ones in the fridge ?

I made a giant pot of pasta sauce and couldn't figure out why I had to keep adding salt. It was because nothing was actually coming out of the salt grinder !!
Jars with tight lids works. The commercial plastic spice bottles don't work to keep moisture out. For the table we use the camping salt shakers with the little snap on lids.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If you happen to have a gas stove with a pilot light you can keep that stuff in the oven. Putting some rice in the containers helps some too. Maybe not in the salt grinder though, lol. All our dry spices we keep in the freezer.
Our friend who lives in upper HOVE made his own airtight spice container where he keeps all his spices. It's a bit inconvenient, but for him it is the best solution because of the time he spends cooking and the money he spends on high-quality spices.

Another solution are these: http://www.dryspice.com/faq

I haven't personally used them, but I know a couple of people on this side of the island who like them.

Of course, Carol's suggestion is the easiest and probably least trouble/cheapest. We live in Nanawale, in a rainbelt and with no dehumidifiers, etc, but keeping the lids on tight works for us.

-Allison

I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them.
- Isaac Asimov
We keep everything in the refrigerator. Also don't buy bottles of the lesser used spices. Just buy what I need for a particular recipe at the health food store in Pahoa. (I'd love to know how they keep their big containers of spices from clumping from the moisture in the air.)
I use whole spices such as sea salt, feneugreek seed, cumin seed, mustard seed, cardamom in the shell at the health food stores and then I use a mortar and pestle and grind them if needed or cook them whole. Cardamom, morter and pestle, break open shell, discard then fry seeds along with other spices. Cinnamon, cloves use the whole pieces, fry and then add sauces and simmer. Also grow curry leaves, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Same thing, grind or use whole leaves. I cook Indian food mostly and it works fine. Also ginger and olena and hawaiian peppers. Ginger & olena (tumeric) I freeze whole, let thaw for about 10 minutes, peel with knife and chop, prevents stringiness. Hawaiian peppers cut in half and fry with whole mustard seeds.
Amrita, I was thinking of getting mortar and pestle anyway for making spice mixes, but not sure how that would help onion powder, garlic powder etc..
The active ingredient in dryspice is cheaper in bulk. Use with any kind of jar.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NH5S8U/

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

Amrita, I was thinking of getting mortar and pestle anyway for making spice mixes, but not sure how that would help onion powder, garlic powder etc..

Many Hindus consider onion and garlic to be unclean foods especially if one is on the path to Self-realization. They use instead asefetida, which in my experience does not cake or grow moldy. Avail at Island Nats or Keaau Health food store. Mortar and pestle's often can be obtained at Paradise Plants.
I bought silica gel packs ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GEWYXI/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and put one in the jar with the spices... Spices seem to be lasting longer now. You can rejuvenate the packets by placing them in the oven on low to dry them back out.. so I've been told. Haven't used up the 50 yet! LOL