Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National School Lunch and School Breakfast Program
The Hawaii State Department of Education (DOE) is announcing its policy for free and reduced-price meals for children unable to pay the full price of meals served under the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Copies of the policy are available at public schools. Children from households with income at or below the following levels are eligible for free or reduced-price meals: [Smile]http://www.hawaiipublicschools.org/ConnectWithUs/MediaRoom/PressReleases/Pages/DOE-guidelines-for-free-and-reduced-price-meals-released.aspx
Whalesong ... R U a new parent ?
I am not clear on the exact details, but Connections Public Charter School in Hilo will be feeding ALL their students a free lunch this year. If the student wants a second lunch they have to pay, but the first one for every single child K-12 is free.

No forms or paperwork to fill out, no kids being denied a lunch because their parents still owes money on their lunch account, no special line or lunch cards for the free lunch kids, everybody eats for free.

There are still just a few openings in almost all grade levels except late high school.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol, that just makes too much sense! lol What a great plan. I really hope it works out and they are able to keep that program in place.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
It is a little risky financially to try this out, but the school knows hungry kids can't learn, and we want to just feed all the kids and not worry about it.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Somehow I see parents taking advantage of free food for their kids.

"Oh, I don't need to provide breakfast, they will get it at school for free"
It doesn't matter, the kids need to eat, even if the parents don't see the need.

Our school has such a high percentage of free and reduced lunch kids that it is easier to just feed everyone. A lot of our families have every adult under 65 working 2 or more jobs, often commuting to the Kona side to work in the resorts, and breakfast and good home made lunches end up being lost in the shuffle. School starts early here, 7:30 for our school, the buses pick kids up as early as 6:15 on some rural routes, it is hard enough for a lot of families to get the kids to school. If we can help get them in class, fed, and ready to learn by providing breakfast it is a good thing for everyone.

I am looking forward to not having to try to teach another fast growing adolescent boy who is distracted by his growling belly this year.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
No POG, I have no children, but I work with teens and I see the need for this information to be seen, so that parents can sign up for it.
All of the local schools hand out a packet at registration that includes the information and form for the free and/or reduced lunch and breakfast programs. I did hear a few months ago that the feds were going to allow schools that had some certain percentage or more of kids who qualified for the free/reduced lunches to get a waiver that would allow the school to simply give everyone the free lunch/breakfast and the school to be reimbursed for all students.

I assume, Carol, that this is what your school did?
I had another meeting and I missed the first part of the discussion, so I am not certain of the details Leilanidude, but that is my guess too.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb