Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piano: Treating for Termites?
I bought a very basic old piano for a song -- a real one made out of wood and stuff. It was housed in an old, crumbling plantation-style home in a small village. Acquiring it was an only-on-the-Big-Island experience, with people hanging upside down and other interesting sights that I cannot describe here.

It occurred to me that it might have some bugs in it. Before I move it into my home, I was wondering if anyone has ever treated a piano for termites.

I have heard of people freezing furniture for 3 days to get rid of termites. But I am not sure that freezing a piano and then warming it up to 80 degrees is a good idea. And it was suggested to me that a fumigation company might be able to just tent the piano or fumigate it off-site in some sort of vault.

Anyone have any suggestions or anecdotal knowledge of how this might be done?
The termite fumigation companies often do furniture in their warehouse,call them,and get the best prices,talk story and yes can be done.If they can tent a whole house and fumigate it,they can tent a piano in same fashion.
Good luck and keep us informed.
You could possibly try tenting yourself, using a drywall pan with Terminate, or CopperGreen poured into pan. Let fumes soak thru ( stinky!!) for a few days and see what has evacuated. Don't get any on you or the piano,as it really has a linger if applied, and stains green. Just a thought as I know they really scoot out of a tube when the stuff goes down it on exterior foundation treatment.

Community begins with Aloha
i've had pianos, and moved pianos. it's pretty much not worth it to have a piano here unless you want it for years and years and buy a really nice one. otherwise, i would just get a casio privia or something like that. cheap, light, and not affected by temperature or moisture.
That's what I was told, Bluesboy and I suspect you are right. But I have talked to people that have actual pianos and they look at me like I am crazy and swear up and down you can have a piano as long as you have a dehumidifier. I am right on the ocean and a guitar I have had since I was 16 and dragged everywhere kind of blew up on me here-- the bridge came detached from the guitar. I was able to get it fixed but that taught me that things really are different here. It is like living on a barge and that is what I tell everyone -- pretend you are living on a barge.

Hilo Termite told me they have treated pianos. I am waiting to hear on a price. Apparently they wrap them and then gas them. I am wondering whether this was a good idea now. The piano was only $100 and was the type that I had on the mainland -- a known quantity. It comes with a dehumidifier.
There is no such thing as "termite proofing" your piano. You can have it gassed and kill the termites that may be in it.... but it is wood and termites may well enter the woodwork again in the future.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yes, Rob, thank you. I was inexact. What I want to do is kill any termites that may be in the piano at this time. I understand that termites may enter the piano later.
Kelena, congratulations on your purchase! Just enjoy the piano and don't worry too much. I think possibly the DIY idea could work and cost almost nothing. Or could you wrap it and use flea bombs? Do those kill termites?
kelena we have a 1904 that we love. you keep the humidifer rod on all the time to keep your soundboard nice. we love ours, it stays on a screened in lanai and we havent had a problem. some of that old wood was very dense and you should be able to inspect it. i agree with tenting it yourself somehow, unless yours is easy to move. ours is a old cabinet grand and i cant even imagine moving it over again...
A woman in Nanawale is giving a. Francis Bacon piano away. Checked it out. Looked OK, but no way to get it in minivan.....FB hilo for sale or free if interested...