Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get screens repaired or remade
I have several screens that need to be repaired or replaced. Where's a good place to get this done? I would also be open to places that supply materials and I can do item myself. I live on Kaloli point so any place from Pahoa to Hilo would be ok.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
IIRC, Ace Hardware in Keaau used to offer a screen repair service. No idea if they still do, but might be worth calling them. Last time I replaced some screen doors I did it via Home Depot and recall them having replacement parts and tools, but that was a few years ago. Maybe a second option.
Ace still does (our dog sometimes thinks the windows are doors...)

They CAN also make some screen frame models, if not yours, try Alumiside on Kukila in Hilo (just makai of Walmart)

ADD: Ace, HD & HPM all offer materials, and Alumiside has a a slightly different set of supplies, if you want to try your hand at screening (have done some, but we have decided to replace all of our screens now with the 'pet pruf' type as the dog opens up the mesh.. and that screen material is less forgiving, so we take them into Ace, rather than having that 'hour glass' look in the center of our screens... probably something fairly easy to keep from happening, maybe as easy as clamping the frame before running the spline in...but I have yet to perfect it...
Yep. Ace does. No one paints frames, but few need that.
Alumside for making new frames. I have used them for two homes.

At Ace you can buy a roll of screen, including the size for screens on sliders, and do your own. As was said, just adding my experience with them.
If you just need to replace the screen portion, you can buy the screen material, the spline, and the spline tool (its only a few dollars) at any good hardware store. You may be able to re-use the old spline if it hasn't gotten brittle, but screen spline is cheap too.

I didn't sit through the entire video, but this video seems to show the nuts and bolts of the operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJX3M8bGAnA
Took two screens up to Ace in the morning and they had new ones ready for me by around 2 pm. Really fast service and they fit perfectly.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Replacing the mesh is an easy DIY project, I've done it. I had cats at the time, so I bought extra strength at Wal-Mart, and it held up.