Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punaweb Member Rescued....
Yesterday 5 of us went fishing a distance from Opihiko Church. We spent most of the day fishing. Around 2:00.Pm a rouge wave came in and hit 4 of us on a bluff. My partner Mark got sweep out into the Ocean. The water was to rough, Mark tried to swim in but was being swept back out. The sharp lava and strong current probably would have been a fatal choice.
We had ropes but couldn't reach him.
Our friend Duane, a friend from a long time local Big Island family ,new exactly what to do. He ran back to the car and emptied a cooler. He pitched the cooler within swimming distance (for a good swimmer) . Mark swam against the current to the cooler. Floating and waiting for help. Duane had a cell phone that he finally got a signal and then called 911. With exact directions from Duane fire and rescue Helicopter arrived in about 25 minute. They rescued Mark. I can only begin to thank my friends, especially Duane .
Thank you Hilo fire and recue . Josh was the only name we got. He was the guy in the water.
The 5 of us had more that luck with us. Our respect to the Ocean. There could have been a different outcome.
Today is Mark's Birthday. The gift of life is the most precious.

Maholo for reading
Richard
AKA Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
You were truly blessed yesterday.

We sometimes forget how amazing and wonderful the fire and rescue folks are, thanks for the reminder. I need to call a firefighter/EMT friend of mine and tell him how much I appreciate his work. They can never hear it enough, in my opinion.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.hawaiirealproperty.com
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Wow - I am soooo glad your story had a happy ending and you are all safe and sound. Good, quick thinking with the ice chest. Kudos to the rescue people.

count your blessings! We must never,ever under estimate 'Mother Nature'. Again, count your blessings that you had an experienced waterman with you folks! He made all the differnece in the world yesterday..

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Thank you fire and rescue people! Thank you Duane! Awesome outcome and an important reminder to all of us about the ocean.

R & M, So glad this turned out well. You guys are such a great addition to the PW family, it is scary to think of the 'what ifs'....& great to know they weren't.
Wish Mark a gloriusly wonderful birthday from us. (& an extra hug)

So in tonight prayers as always a thanks for all that is good in the world, and I will include Mark's safe escape. Happy Birthday Mark and thank you Richard for sharing this with us.

A water cooler who would have known but someone with vast ocean experience! What a blessing for all.

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
What a wonderful story!; thank you for telling it, thanks to Duane, and HAPPY BIRTHD AY MARK! This is, indeed the first day of the rest of your life.
D
Wow. I saw the blurb in the on-line paper but you were not identified. I log in here and, hey, it's my neighbor to be trying to get famous by being in the newspaper!!

Glad you are OK!! Your birthday will seem pretty special this year.

This just goes to show we all need to watch out because you never know when a wave can sneak up on you.

Richard, be give Mark a big hug from Aimee & Bob.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
I just wanted first to say...Happy Birthday to my dear friend Mark. Whew! close call. I am so very thankful the outcome yesterday was a positive one. There are so many things that I am thankful for at this particular moment 1) Ke Akua - God, for those of you all that know the area of Opihikao, you can hardly most times never get a signal on the cell phone. You need to be up high. I was not. It must have been my prayers being said to Ke Akua to just let me have this time to call for help. Bam! all bars on the cell phone. I was trully lifted up to get that call in to 911. Mahalo Ke Akua! BTW, my cell service provider is AT&T - Cingular..It works!
2) Igloo coolor's whom ever makes it. Just know it floats. I remember seeing it on "lets go fishing". It's funny I remembered that. Always bring a coolor to the ocean. It just might save someones life. Or in any manner, something that floats.
And last, Thankful for my Friends. With all the quick thinking we all had to do yesterday, I think its safe to say...We are all very lucky to have one another in our lives. We are trully bless and have been yesterday.
A very important point I have learned yesterday that I would like everyone to know is that the power of the ocean is way under estimated. If the ocean is rough, don't do it. To wait for a calm day and trully enjoy the benefits that the ocean have, if it's fishing (catching fish), swimming or just a leisure time hanging at the ocean front, Always know, stay away from rough coastal surf. We all had to learn that yesterday. We are blessed.
Aloha,
Duane