Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schatz Hanabusa Campaigning In Puna
When we get information on the 2 candidates' campaign plans in Puna, could we please post them here so that everyone can follow along?
I think it is poor form to campaign after the election. It just encourages special pleading. The people who did not get a chance to vote should get their mail in ballots as soon as possible and let's get this over with.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
Hanabusa was in Puna yesterday with Aunty Minnie's daughter, giving out some supplies and doing her assessment. Schatz is supposed to be inbound (if not here already).

JMO.
I didn't see this topic, and posted in the other.

Senator Schatz is very aware that campaigning is problematic and in fact did not want to do it at this time of disaster. But as the incumbent Senator, he should come and see on the ground what happened and try to help, and listen. So does he come and get accused of tasteless campaigning or does he neglect his constituents out of concern his coming will be misperceived? It's a rock and a hard place situation, and I think it is to his credit that he is going to come try to help and risk the criticism. He does not want to campaign to people who are hurting, but he does want to help. This is what my friend who is close to him told me yesterday.

Anyway, he is here today. I hope my friend will have time to send his schedule to me. She said something last night about a Lex Brodie donation event and churches and community centers, something her own family was already doing in Mountainview, etc..

Still time for input on where best to be.
Try not to be too cynical. No doubt they both have good hearts and let's hope their presence brings positive energy to a tough time.
Just want to say to opihikao that I'm very glad to see you posting. I was concerned about you. [Smile]
Aloha, Kathy. Thanks so much, been a very trying time for all. Good to "see" you.

Of interest, Schatz needs to get the federal government support ASAP to Puna. Send him a strong message, please. Write both he and Hanabusa for generators and the like. Get funding to clear and get rid of these damn albezia trees. The County lacks the funds and manpower.

Our kids are out there clearing roads and risking their safety for others. The elected officials need to see first hand WTH we are dealing with. Especially if they want Puna to vote for them in for this particular seat.

JMO.

ETA: typo
[Smile]
Yesterday I did send the Schatz campaign a link to the albizzia topic here and my own urging that albizzia removal and control is a top priority. I was told
My emails were forwarded directly to the Senator. I am not aware of the ins and outs of what the federal level can do, but was just sending a plea. I will pass on the rest of your post in the next 15 minutes. (I also mentioned the PMAR issue and the need for a real evacuation plan for Puna as long term concerns.)

I don't know anyone in the Hanabusa camp, but maybe someone else here does and can be contacting her.

ETA I don't want to sound like I have some political connections. I don't. I'm not involved with any campaign at all. One of my best friends is an old friend of Brian Schatz and was instrumental in his Lt. Governor campaign. Her partner is Schatz's Kohala field rep (Michael Zola). So I knew she is close to him and I emailed her yesterday with my concerns for the dire situation of people in the devastated areas. That is all.
a-hem

How many times have these candidates previously been to Puna -- in official capacity or even campaigning?
If Hanabusa wants this...she better be ready to give HPP something we've wanted for a long time !
I believe that Brian is one of those rare people with the heart of a public servant and inner humility, who truly wants to serve Hawai'i. He is intelligent, kind, and has a warm sense of humor, and believes in serving everyone.

I really liked his speech at his appearance after the returns Saturday, where he said there are all kinds of families and relationships, and he believes in all forms of them.

People will have to decide, but voting for some perceived quid pro quo from either candidate seems to me not the best move. I would vote for the person and the record in Washington.

I wouldn't put too much importance on whether they have campaigned in your neighborhood before. It's a national race. Neither one of them came to my neighborhood either, and I don't feel slighted by that. I live in a small rural community, and national campaigns hold pre-election forums in larger population centers, such as Hilo, Kona, maybe Waimea.

Doesn't mean they are not responsive to constituents who live in rural areas.