Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relief for LFA bite on pet eyeball?
Anyone have tips on relieving my dog's LFA eyeball misery until I can get him to a vet tomorrow morning? I've been doing ice water compress. He has slight swelling and is scratching it. Thankfully, not a full blown allergic reaction.

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
My experience has been that puppies recuperate and won't keep the cataract looking eye. Different story with the older ones. They have cloudy eyes, but they seem to see OK. It is sad what this fire ants are doing. I put their food in a bowl full of water, that way fire ants can not get to their food, and therefore get to your dog. Hope this helps.

punalvr
punalvr
Luckily for us, I don't have them at my place yet. He was bitten while we were at a friend's house. I'll be buying Amdro tomorrow and baiting in case they hitched a ride in my car Sad

Spray your car with any kind of ant killer all over, then put a bomb inside to kill everything hanging around. It never messed up my paint, or the leather inside my car. It works! Good luck! Do it ASAP!

punalvr
punalvr
I don't have fireants where I live so far in Hawaiian Beaches. But that's my biggest rear, my Dobies getting attacked in the eyes by fireants.
I have begun to think of them as "domesticated ants". They do enjoy hanging out with our pets, and on our furniture and clothes. I may have finally erradicated them by a cheap method that I will share. I take lids from tin cans that I've already used. Then, I mix 1/3 cheap, granulated pesticide (in 10 pound bag from HD- 7 dollars)- into peanut butter. I make a batch of it and store it in fridge... I then put a 1/2X1/2 cm "blob" of the mixture on the edge of each of the "can-top medallions". I then put these "medallions" around the pet food dishes and at least one in each room of my house (underneath something). After a few days, retrieve each "medallian" and reapply new peanutbutter bait to another area on the "medallian" and put back in place. I plan on doing this every couple weeks on an ongoing basis. The cantops are big enough so that I know they are there, and don't sweep them up- and we can avoid stepping on them etc. My dog and cat have not eaten the bait. My kids can recognize the "medallions". The appears to be a cheap targeted (mostly safe) way to use pesticide in the house. GL!
unknownjulie - my dog would eat anything peanut butter... punalvr - brilliant idea floating the dog food dish in a pan of water!
islandgirl
There is a dog dish named 'fool a bug' that is designed so crawling insects can't get into the food. Not something I would think to buy, but I received two free with a dog kennel I bought and they really work. I think they only work on flat floor surfaces. Oh, to make this Puna related, they may work to keep your ants out of the dog food.
I live in Beaches and unfortunately DO have fire ants inside and out. I find that they are attracted to water as well as anything oily....like dry cat food. I find them in the cat's water bowl and also in the big cup of water on my desk. And they are not "sweet" eaters but "protein" eaters. To keep them out of my cats' food dish I place the food dish on a larger paper plate that I have sprinkled with food grade....not pool grade...diatomaceous earth (available at any feed store). It works on any kind of crawler and is safe around food, pets and humans. I've used Amdro, but it attracts the ants and instead of them taking the poison back to the nest, it seems to kill them on the spot so I'm always cleaning up dead ants. I am going to try the peanut butter mixed with boric acid bait. Maybe they'll take that back to the nest. Here's hoping.

quote:
Originally posted by coppercoin40

unknownjulie - my dog would eat anything peanut butter... punalvr - brilliant idea floating the dog food dish in a pan of water!

Put a drop of dish detergent in the water to make sure any ants drown in it. Otherwise they may be able to walk across on the surface tension.