Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since there's no gym in puna...what type of...
excercise do you do personally to keep fit cardiovasculary, physically and mentally?

I did alot of swimming, kayaking...but would like to know how others keep fit without the need of a gym.

Bear and I briskly walk/hike at least two to three miles a day, often much more. We walk the roads in HPP, we walk the old trail to Haena, we walk the old railroad right of way southeast of HPP, we walk all over the National Park (Mauna Ulu is favorite HVNP walk,) and on and on. Lots of great walks/hikes in Puna.

Cheers,
Jerry

When we lived in HPP we biked a few miles around the coast & 'rock-hopped' most days -run/walk with our neighbors dog.
Now I do the brisk bus run in the morning & sanding or mudding at night.....can't wait to be done with this place!

when they say there's a planned gym by the new fire station...how realistic is this and is this a gym open to all with cardio/work out equipment....or is this a nice thing placed on a list of things we might want in the future for puna?

Does anyone know of some good gyms maybe in Keaau or Hilo. Maybe somewhere that offers yoga, kickboxing or weight lifting training classes.

Stringbucket- Check out the gym in downtown Hilo. I'm not sure what street it is on; but it's on the corner in the center of downtown.

Edited by - Christopher Olah on 10/02/2007 21:32:56
Spencers Gym is on Keawe Downtown Hilo, Health Haven on Kinoole, YWCA on Ululani, Yoga Centered on Waianuenue, Orchid Isle fitness & Curves in Shipman Keaau, there are a couple (gymanastics, martial arts &?) off of Railroad, kinda behind HD near Aloha Fitness

Thank you for your replies. I currently live in Huntington Beach,CA and last month joined 24Hour Fitness. I really enjoy going to the different classes offered by the gym. I didn't realize how not in shape I was. I'll be moving to HPP in late January. I just want to keep up being fit.

There's 24hr fitness in honolulu, i can't remember if they are also in maui...would be nice if they did get some on the big island so i can keep my low membership dues going.....is aloha fitness a full service gym....any with a pool would be ideal, if anyone can advise, thanks

noel

A timely topic for me since I'm trying to get back into my workout routine...

How about swimming laps at Ahalanui hot ponds?

A couple months ago I bought an "Ironman" jungle-gym kind of thingie that I keep in my open car port/home gym (got a stereo and TV mounted for sports or satellite radio, but no mirrors yet); Ironman is good for all kinds of push ups, pull ups, dips, hanging crunches, even squats. (Only downside is it's metal, so will eventually rust.) Just need to get down to the hot ponds more often for the cardiovascular. No more running, my boomer bones don't take the pounding like they used to. Can't wait for the sun to shine for an excuse to go swimming!

Jerry, how far a hike is Mauna Ulu?

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius