Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
permit fairness
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...gle-family

Summary: local company pulls permits for "residential home" on R-zoned property in Hilo, builds 7300-square-foot warehouse and baseyard instead, somehow County didn't notice, all permits were approved.

Because the company is well-connected, this is merely an "oversight".
Not what you know but who you know... Follow the money...
The article mentioned monetary reparations. I wonder if those are going to the people who now have to live with a high impact industrial use in their neighborhood, or to the agencies that allowed it?

I would be seriously upset if a septic tank pumping company moved next door to my house after I invested the extra $100,000 dollars it costs to buy a house in Hilo. Hilo real estate is MUCH more expensive than Puna, because you are supposed to be buying a home that is protected from those sorts of uses by neighbors.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Someone (affected resident) needs a lawyer. They can likely get it torn down if they wish.

Edit: Well I searched what my memory was recalling and it's not exactly the same but pretty close:

"JENSEN BEACH -- Thomas Thomson gambled when he built a $3 million cluster of luxury apartment buildings about four years ago, ignoring a lawsuit filed by nearby homeowners alleging the buildings violated Martin County's growth rules." http://www.ccfj.net/HOAFLrazed.html

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
So your suggestion seems to be that the remedy lies with how deep the pockets of the neighboring property owners might be.

I have seen enough violations of county code by the County of Hawaii to convince me that the big boys get what they want and the little folks get pushed aside.
This would appear to be another example of that.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It is a remedy. A local government that does it's job correctly without being forced by litigation would certainly be preferred.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
You are right. It is a remedy. Personally I think a legal action should be more of a class action.

Someone in the Planning Department signed off on that application.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Someone in the Planning Department signed off on that application.

Subsequent "inspectors" failed to notice a 7300-sf warehouse.
Yeah, it doesn't pass the smell test. It should be investigated to see if there is anything criminal.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I heard about this project last week and went looking for it. It's in Waikea Houselots, an area slated for redevelopment as Hilos replacement for the old Industrial area. The fee simple properties are considered attractive for owner-users of industrial zoned property as compared to the old industrial areas state owned lands that are only available leasehold. So, the key sentence in the article is;
"...“Regrettably,” Fuke said, his client maybe was “jumping the gun” in building what he built."

Meaning, I'd presume, that there is a rezoning planned or in process that the owner didn't choose to wait for before constructing the improvements.
I'm not excusing the behavior, I think this Riley guy is way out of line working for the County while bidding on County contracts and these shenanigans are in keeping with that kind of behavior. I'm just saying this area of house lots is dappled with warehouses already and this building is in character with the surrounding 1/4 mile radius of buildings. The neighbor is pissed and she's getting her forum, it's not a big deal in the total sum of things. Her own house will likely be a warehouse in the next 20 years, making her or her heirs better off for it. Time marches on.