Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Papaya Industry Faces Tough Recovery
FYI: Our farmers need our support, and the State and Federal Gov. better help our farmers in the interest of food sustainability* (*despise that "buzz" word. Sorry) JMO.

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/s?action=login&f=y&id=272409361

Hawaii's papaya industry never fully recovered from a virus-driven downturn in the 1990s, and now there is a looming question as to how much of a rebound one of state's biggest crops can make after the devastating effects of Tropical Storm Iselle.

An estimated 60 percent of statewide papaya production was wiped out by Iselle, which blew through the Puna district of Hawaii island where the industry is concentrated.
Terrible for them. Yes, I hope you are right. I posted last week the info Mark Nakashima sent out for farmers who suffered crop loss. While Mark is not a Puna rep, he is deeply concerned for farmers and no matter the district, and is a genuinely nice approachable person. Recommend him as one legislator to write to of the situation.

I'm so sick of that buzz word too. Imagine that I/we lived for decades and somehow managed to talk about gardening and farming without it, and now it's omnipresent.

Link to the info from Namashima's office:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19259
Out of curiosity:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fe918 basically shows a net profit of 284 dollars per acre a year growing papaya. That doesn't seem to be very profitable crop. Corn would fetch 570 per acre twice a year. $488 Per acre in soybeans.
the only question I have, will they grow here or perhaps some other cash crop like puna coffee Smile
kander,

Those numbers are from Florida.
Look at CTAHR and see what the same numbers are for Hawaii.
You need soil to grow corn or soybeans, papaya will grow in bulldozed lava rock. You can't translate mainland farming information or ideas to Hawaii. Totally different climate, soil situation, pests and issues with shipping your products to markets.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If anybody could grow corn or soy in ripped pahoehoe they would be doing it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
A large scale hydroponic farm could grow gourmet lettuce, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, etc without soil. Ask students at Kua O Ka La and HAAS Public Charter schools for further information.

A lava field location would help eliminate weeds. Hydroponic techniques typically recycle water and nutrients which conserves resources.

New technology-organic nutrients= healthy eating and expanded economic opportunities.

There is more "outside the box" than Chemical/Agriculture Companies.
Good idea. Do it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Charter Schools can grow those kind of crops because they don't have to make a profit.
A Puna farmer could also grow those vegetables, but when he walks into a store to sell them and he has to ask 30% - 60% more than his mainland corporate farm competitors, and he's going to have trouble finding buyers.

I watched a farmer walk into a 4 star restaurant kitchen on Maui one time offering a giant bag of the most beautiful local mixed salad greens I've ever seen. There were probably enough servings in the bag for at least ten very large salads for which the restaurant would charge $10 each. The chef asked how much the salad greens cost, and when the farmer said $5.75 - - the chef replied he wouldn't go any more than $5.00 because that's what he paid his mainland distributor.

I thought the farmer was going to cry. Seriously.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HAAS conducted a test comparing hydroponic with conventional grow methods. Hydro grew much faster, used less water and fertilizer, required no weeding, and virtually no maintenance.

A solar powered pump/timer automatically watered and fed the plants three times a day, returning the water and ferts to the enclosed reservoir.

Faster/better/cheaper.......No profit? More and more people are asking for organics and restaurants/stores are slowly coming around.

I am doing it, but not on a commercial scale. A system like HAAS used would feed a large family for years and costs about $100.