Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Scenarios, Preparedness
It's too early to tell what the lava is going to do, but recent events have shown us that well thought out disaster preparedness will help immensely.

People talk of the flow crossing Hwy 130. If this happens, I don't think a makai evacuation route will be practical. If it crosses 130, it has a good chance of continuing to the ocean.

The suggested Chain of craters route seems viable for now, but will increase the trip for Hilo supplies by quite a few miles; And may take time to implement.

If 130 is cut off, will PGV continue supplying electricity to Puna Makai?

Things I will be stocking up on and doing gradually over the coming days/weeks;
Gasoline for our generator.
More jugs for potable water.
Water filters.
Canned and dried food.
Put in more veggies.
Participating in Neighborhood Activities

Even if the flow stops tomorrow, i feel like I'll be ready for the next; Hurricane, Earthquake, Tsunami, or Japanese sneak attack(Hey, I'ts happened).

Please suggest anything I've forgotten.

ICE!!!

Community begins with Aloha
This is a good time to also isolate important papers like insurance, titles, family photos and to even video and photograph your property and contents in case you have to evacuate.

People with horses and livestock may want to start thinking about where they could be moved in a hurry.
If the lava crosses Highway 130, will the geothermal plant be able to provide electric to lower Puna if the lines along the highway go down?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
IMO the gov't right now, should be designating some temporary land that people can move their houses to while they wait for the lava flow to resolve. Then they can move the houses back after they re-bulldoze the roads, after it's cooled off. I know this sound simplistic, but is it possible at all?
FWIW, if and when they repave the lava covered Chain of Craters Road from Kaimu/Kalapana to the Ka Lae Apuki area of the HVNP coast.

that would make a trip to Hilo about 65-70 miles from Kalapana... and NO you cant drive 55 the whole way so my guess is it would be 1.5 hours each way minimum (w/o Kurtistown to Hilo commute hours traffic jams)....!!
...and what about (everyone?) needing a HVNP season pass (about $25) to get back into the park gate to go home????? and is HVNP gate entrance set up to handle, on top of tourists/park visitors, that much more traffic (ie thousands of cutoff lower Puna residents), and can hwy 11 from HVNP to Keaau handle these (extra) lower Puna residents to go with all the upper Puna daily drivers???

PS there are no gas stations in lower Puna or almost all of HVNP (Military Camp has a small hidden station), so if say, you live in Kapoho you will have a trip of about 80-85 miles each way (2 hours ea. way), with NO gas stations for about the first and last 50 miles of a roundtrip to Hilo. (Volcano Village also has a couple)

IMO better to grade and cinder a temp road from Gov Road area of WaaWaa to say Kaloli in HPP or better yet all the way to somewhere near Shipman Beach/Mauna Loa MacNut factory area

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Is it too late to buy lava insurance?
I feel that they should take back the Superferries docked in Norfolk Va., where they placed them for East Coast hurricane evacuation poste haste. I realize that Isaac Hale boat ramp is too small, but smaller ferry boats could evacuate people by shuttling to the ferry until an emergency dock could be built. You would not have much but the clothes on your back, and what you could carry, but at least your alive. Once new dock is built, use the ferry from Isaac Hale to Hilo, run it in the morning, then back in the afternoon during "commute" times to avoid economic collapse of the County from the flow by isolating the work force from work in Hilo due to length of commute, and average income battling the new cost/time of the commute.

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

IMO better to grade and cinder a temp road from Gov Road area of WaaWaa to say Kaloli in HPP or better yet all the way to somewhere near Shipman Beach/Mauna Loa MacNut factory area

A section of Beach Road has been blocked off between Maku'u & Paradise for about the last 20 years. Beach Road could be graded through to Maku'u, then route the traffic up Maku'u to the highway. There's an existing right turn merge lane already in place.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Bing maps has some good views of that area - I wondered what it was, way back there with nothing else around. It seemed an odd spot for a clearing.