Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standing deadwood in Forest Reserves
Does anyone know the regulations or where they can be found concerning the utilization of standing deadwood in the forest reserves?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Wildlife habitat
The only time I have ever harvested wood in a preserve or national forest is dead and down, with a permit. Standing dead trees are condo's for our winged friends.

Community begins with Aloha

Edited for dyslexia 8 28 14
I harvested it in Colorado and it was standing trees. There was some kind of permit that was 15 dollars, and you could take as much as you wanted.
Call DLNR? They most likely oversee this resource.

If it's State Reserve, then rules in other states don't apply. If National, different agency and rules. NPS probably?

My first husband was for a while self-employed harvesting dead wood and turning it into firewood, and later had a gig thinning the small trees in state forest reserve for forest health (live trees), but that was in California.

Interesting about standing trees being left for birds.
In California, the wildfire danger is too high for them to purposefully leave standing dead trees as fuel. But here, in the rain forest, I could see it.
Cut a live one, I hear they make great Jungalows...
Unless the tree was knocked down very recently the wood rots quickly. Freshly cut ohia scan be easily peeled in 12-24 hours after cutting.

aloha
aloha
Here are the Division of Forestry and Wildlife rules:
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/rules/

Depending on what you want to do with it, you would need either a collecting permit (for personal use) or a commercial harvest permit.

and a lot of patience....
deadwood isn't dead. its what the rest of the forest lives on!

#10048;
#10048;