Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FEMA Denies Request for Assistance
Figures. Mahalo to all who came to Puna's need.

We take care of our own. JMO.

FYI: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26397...eclaration

JUST IN: The State of Hawaii's request for a major disaster declaration due to Tropical Storm Iselle was denied today by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Well FEMA can kiss my okole!
you'll be thankful they saved their money when an actual disaster does strike the Big Island.
Quoted from the article:
"It has been determined that the damage from this event was not of such severity and magnitude to be beyond the capabilities of the state, affected local governments, and voluntary agencies," the letter from Fugate states.

Abercrombie literally threw the nearly $200 million away that was in the state's Hurricane Disaster Relief Fund, in 3 years, and it seems that the people in charge at FEMA, know this.
This was a disaster of our own making. Hopefully we can learn that having huge weak trees growing next to fragile infrastructure is a bad idea.

Down in Kapoho the storm surge destroyed homes that don't meet the current code and spared those that do.

I am going to buy flood insurance myself. 17 feet above sea level and 1000 feet from the ocean !!
What are the chances that HELCO could be convinced that clear cutting the remaining tall trees on 132 from Nanawale to the corner where the hot dog guy sets up would be a great preventative measure?

Or, even better, to run the power underground down to the switching station just past the corner?

In any event to modify their tree program to actually remove dangerous trees instead of trimming a hole in the canopy to allow the wires to pass through.

I understand that the new power generating station on the Hamakua Coast is 'tree farming' for fuel trees. Would the downed Albizias be useful for fuel? Free other than the cost of trucking.
Eh FEMA is a turkey farm anyway, you wouldn't want to deal with their incompetent okole anyhow, trust me they suck.
Mahalo to you opihikao !

I swear I wasn't the person who said we don't eat spam musabi down here !
Maybe I did though but I was making a joke !!!

This is actually how disaster relief should work all over the USA.
This how it worked before FEMA came along.

The government should eliminate FEMA.

Think that will happen ???
Y'all are good. Mahalo. We do take care of our own.

Obie, (sending California roll to you. lol!) Think we can raid the geothermal royalty funds? Hell, it's for the benefit of the health and safety of the residents (for the record, no fault of PGV proven yet, but can we just use the money? Sorry, being a smart a$$)!

FEMA continues to be a miserable failure. Sure, it wasn't a category 3 or 4 or 5, doing damage beyond description, but how about a token gesture? Half a million? Something?

Well, the State and County (us; alone) bear this burden. Any way you cut it, we all pay and pay and pay. In the end, we still get plenty aloha for our ohana in Puna.

No worry, we all take care each other.

JMO.
Still a shame. I wonder if FEMA looks mainly at infrastructure damage stats like bridges destroyed, highways, and structures with damage, loss of life (for severity, even though it can't be fixed), rating of storm.

They probably can't comprehend what it's like to have endless numbers of huge fallen trees in the way of everything. The trees are not a value loss, or a structure loss, but yet they must be dealt with.

I don't know what FEMA's criteria are, but I feel there must be a culture gap in play somewhere in the denial.

Kathy