Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and vog
Very heavy vog here by kaohe homesteads. Is this just a shift in the winds? I've never seen anything this heavy in years

aloha
aloha
Down here in Pahoa Village it appears to be smoke from the fires surrounding the lava flow. we can definitely see a plume of brown smoke rising from that direction. Trade winds seem stalled, and there is a light breeze from the south, so it sort of makes sense that the smoke is drifting this direction.
Well it must have just been a wind shift because the dense cloud is gone though still just a sulfury smell.

aloha
aloha
According to USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, at mid-day on Friday, lava was only 1.6 mi from the east boundary of the Wao Kele o Puna Forest Reserve, which is the western border of Kaohe Homesteads.
It's a bit hazy here in HPP and there's a slight smell of smoke and sulfer.
Sorry, I was baking biscuits again this morning.....They're like fiberglass, but taste better.........
I have seen emails from a couple of people who drove by the old local sauna spot, next to the Steam Vent Inn on the road to kalapana, and they see quite a bit of steam or smoke coming from the ground there.

Jay
Jay
I'm in HA, about 3-4 miles from the flow. We seem to be downwind (but uphill) of the burn and have been getting lots of sulfur-tinged smoke yesterday and today. Had to take down my smoke detectors.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>
Looks like Los Angeles air on an bad inversion level day down here in Kapoho .

During the day, trade winds will blow the smoke and vog towards the national park. At night, the cooling air comes down the mountain, sending the smoke and vog towards pahoa. This weekend also has very light trades, allowing the smoke and vog to go in many different directions.