Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
generators
Home depot got a huge shipment of 5000 and 7000 watt generators.
Heh... just make sure you pay with cash!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/02...54046.html
Be careful of the 3500 watt machine made by Briggs and Stratton... they don't have a low oil shut off. My friend had borrowed one and didn't check the oil and the motor seized up. Can't buy parts for them either so you can't fix them. This is a near new machine too! HD has/had them for about 550.00 and found them on Amazon for 432.00 for Prime members.

I will never again own a Briggs & Stratton. I like motors that start. Stick with Honda.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
For anything less than industrial-scale application, most people wouldn't need that kind of wattage. Go with a low cost generator (<2000w) + charger + batteries + inverter, because you don't need the "peak" power all the time. Saw a nice 3000watt inverter at auto parts store... for you power-hungry folk.

Small is Beautiful
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
If you have catchment make sure your generator will produce what the pump will need, or else you will have power, but no water.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
My neighbors let me hook up to their generator for a bit, to wash dishes, take showers, etc. during that time, my pump quit shutting off. It would just keep pumping forever. After our power came back on, it still did it. I adjusted the cut out a little lower, and it's been fine since. Their pump burned up, and they had to replace it, I think it was right after the power came on again. Coincidence??
Our pump is one of the old Stay Right ones that looks pretty tough. It's from 1996 and still going.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Our catchment pump won't turn on with a 2,500 watt inverter (5,000 watt peak) but it does (barely) turn on with a 3500 watt generator.

I know, the real solution is a smaller catchment pump (I don't need a well pump, especially considering the tank is slightly uphill) but I enjoyed having the extra generator wattage during the Iselle outage.

p.s Costco in Kona has (or had) 7,000 watt (9,000 peak) "Champion" brand (Chinese) electric start dual-fuel generators (gas or propane) for $750. That's enough power for an entire house. (actual watts when used with propane are a bit lower than with gasoline)

Funny thing is if you look at the Champion, and then look at the DeWalt, everything looks the same but the badge. The remote start is kinda neat though, wouldn't have to go out to start it.

Community begins with Aloha
Actually, Costco has the 7500w currently on sale for $699 until 9/28. I do not know if the have them in stock or not.