Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New business area for south Puna?
In the event Pahoa experiences multiple flows over the next year covering 130 and inundating most, if not all of Pahoa. What's your opinion regarding a new business area for south Puna services? What area is most sheltered from Pu'u O'o flows in south Puna and would be in the best strategic location to be for the most part conveniently accessible to most the residents of south Puna?

Just off the top of my head I see Kapoho around the 4 corners being a rather safe effective location or up 132 slightly near and around the old railroad avenue connector.

What's your thoughts?
I personally feel that if the flows are going to continue on this side for the foreseeable future as the scientists have stated I really see more of a farmers market approach to business in this area.

I don't think anyone is going to want to invest millions of dollars to put in a gas station etc as it will probably be impossible to get insurance for such ventures.

However, that is just my two cents worth.
4 corners is in zone 1 and was flowing lava just 54 years ago. Maybe a great place to do business, but not a great place to have business. Maybe on trailers?
On another thread Kapohocat mentioned a site on Red road, about 1/4 mile from 4 corners that has a large vacant metal building and parking lot that she thought would make a good store. It also has piped water.
As much as I hate to even mention this Pohoiki would probably be a good logical candidate for businesses. It is the closest thing Puna has to a port and is pretty road accessible with facilities/clearings/parking in place. Seems like a pretty logical and somewhat central new "town center" to me but I welcome dissenting opinions to point out things that I am probably not considering. Not sure if a gas station would work but barges/boats can supply by water goods for Pohoiki "stores" reducing trucking goods in and keeping deliveries to a given interval (like the weekly barge). Essentially it would be a satellite harbor to Hilo or further (Oahu) if there was sufficient demand to make economic sense.
I don't subscribe to the current established lava zones as much as I tend to look at the more imminent existing threats as they emerge. Certainly Kilaeua is the most active volcano in the group but at any time it could go into a hundred year slumber and Mauna Loa erupt.
The origin of the lava zone was never intended to be a guideline but rather intended to be a map of general lava flow ages. As can be seen through the topographical record there is a randomized semi even sweep of the entire terrain. For instance after Pu'u O'o subsides any number of places could open a new vent alleviating current potential target areas. Its very likely that Kapoho may not experience a flow for another 500 years and it certainly isn't likely endangered by Pu'u O'o flows because of its relative topographical location to that of Pu'u O'o.
As much as I hate to even mention this Pohoiki would probably be a good logical candidate for businesses.

I agree, but now wait for it...

Puna Pono Alliance! SAVE POHOIKI! [Big Grin]
How about stockpiling shipping containers in a "safe zone" to be used as temporary, or even "permanent" use for merchants to set up shop. Line them up with a common breezeway to tie them as one store, open for business. At end of day, shut the doors and padlock. Each merchant would have his cluster, and able to move at a moments notice. All Merchants Association would need is a 3 axle 21000 pound flat deck trailer and a good truck to relocate at a moments notice, merchants would share cost of registration if needed.
Once a marine or air support area is dedicated if needed then merchants could decide where to set up "town" on a "permanent" basis to serve the new community.
As far as marine, my vote is the existing boat ramp. Fortify the breakwater with access road on top and extend a pier beyond, floating or otherwise to be able to bring in deep water supply barges or ferry system.

Community begins with Aloha
A more accurate lava zone map would select zones by volcano and those areas in threat from them. The zoning would continue down to imminent threatened areas by virtue of current activity. This would place the entire north of rift basin in the red zone along with every region relatively due south of rift of pu'u o'o.
This effectively would have warned all of the beaches/shores, ainaloa, HPP, pahoa, maybe lailani a bit, and to the other side Kalapana, Kahena, Sea view and place in between this listed and pu'u o'o. Including those areas within the parks boundaries under current down slope threat of Pu'u o'o.
As it stands with the current zoning, half my backyard is zone 1 half is zone 2 yet Pu'u O'o is of no real threat to our property. So I ask you, how is it a zone 3 in the shores/beaches or Pahoa is safer than where I live in Waa Waa while pu'u o'o flows? The current zoning is incorrectly used and not viable as a threat indicator, not by a long shot.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

As much as I hate to even mention this Pohoiki would probably be a good logical candidate for businesses.

I agree, but now wait for it...

Puna Pono Alliance! SAVE POHOIKI! [Big Grin]

LMAO! Don't worry, leilanidude, we will.

Aloha from,

Keiki o ka aina. [Big Grin]

(*Disclaimer: NOT a member of that group.)