Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washing machine choices
Well, our old Kenmore washer seems to have bitten the dust, and it is probably not worth repairing. We have been looking into the front-loading types as an option for a new one. According to most manufacturers claims, the front-loaders use less electricity, less water (which in our case also means less electricity,) and less detergent. I also seem to recall that they need a different sort of detergent.

Front loaders seem to cost about $250 to $300 more than top loaders with similar bells and whistles. My guess is that we would make up the extra cost in energy savings over the life of the machine, but I would like to hear from any forum members about their own experiences or opinions. Also, reliability is a concern for us with technology that is new to us.

Cheers and thanks for any advice,
Jerry

I have a whirlpool duet stacking set. I could not be happier. Tons less water, half the soap in a double sized load.

I bought top of the line AND the extended warranty. Totally worth it. The company ended up replacing my machine after 5 years because of the "lemon" clause (3 times repairing the same thing). Here with the moisture any machine will have problems (hence the warranty) but these front loaders are the only way to go.

Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Jerry,

Front loaders us HE, meaning high efficiency liquid laundry detergent. It doesn't foam as much as standard detergent, due to the efficiency of the front load washer and less water needed.

I think the options are a wash doing all comparisons, however when we buy a new washer/dryer, I hope to get a stacking model with a front loading washer on bottom and a gas powered dryer on top. I think the Lamont's have this type perhaps they bought it on island.

How long did your Kenmore last? Hope the new ones have the same longevity! Good hunting, ah shopping to ya!

mella l

HAHAHAHA Pam you beat me to it! LOL

Edited by - mella l on 10/08/2007 09:54:36
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Jerry and The Bear,

I have to second Pam's comments: go with the Duets. The washer eats a huge amount of laundry and uses about 15 gallons of water for the wash cycle. In Puna, water usage isn't a big concern, but water heating costs are! Plus, after spin dry, the clothes so dry that, on a sunny day, by the time you're finished hanging the laundry, some of the first items you've hung are ready to come off.

No joke. Expensive but outstanding. And stackable, to boot.

We bought our 1-year-used set nearly three years ago. I converted it from natural gas to propane and installed the stacking kit. Since then, I replaced a $15 sensor in the propane-fired dryer, which took about 15 minutes and that's all we've done. Given the amount of laundry our kids create...

One word of caution, though. Water can settle in the front door seal and can get a bit funky if you leave the door closed. The remedy is simple: don't close the door when the washer isn't in use! (You can also swab it out with a bleach solution occasionally, but that's more work, and who needs that? Wink )

Art
Hi Jerry,

I have the same problem: have to replace our Washer and Dryer in California. I have some familiarity with a front loader (LG) because we have a combination washer/dryer at the condo in New Orleans. There was no space for anything else, and no practical way to vent (brick building). That thing is amazing. They do use less water (not a problem in New Orleans) and are very power efficient. Highly programmable and I have never seen anything wash cleaner with less soap (use HE, as mentioned above -it's not rare or difficult to find). I am not recommending the combo, but it is pretty amazing -- you put the clothes in and about 4 1/2 hours later, it has both washed AND dryed them. The secret, I think, is the spin cycle. A normal washer might go 500 RPM. New front loaders spin at about 1200 RPM. Very fast (so must be balanced well at installation). So, by the time you transfer to the dryer, much of the moisture has been spun out. (No transfer required on the combo).

So, when we replace (sometime soon), we are going to go with an LG front loader washer and a front loader dryer because of our good experience with this odd little combo washer/dryer. These combos are notorious for not really working, but the one we have does work. Very efficient.

The other thing about front loaders is, if you can get them up near eye level, no bending down to fetch clothes.

Word of warning: Don't mix your lavalava with your tighty whities.

Jerry,
We bought the Maytag Neptune high end machine a few years ago and have been very satisfied. It is great because you can stuff it full with a comforter, etc. and not have any problems. I had to remove and disassemble the drain pump a few weeks ago because my wife tried to wash a rug and it disintegrated and bound the pump rotor. It was not TOO hard - just a little colorful language - and it continues to work fine.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Go front load for sure ( I could make some jokes here but I won't since you all think I am so ladylike Smile . I had a Maytag Neptune stacked unit which was a colassal waste of $2500. I bought it when they first came out and I think the price has decreased a lot since then. The dryer worked fine but we replaced the motherboard on the washer 7 times. I argued a lot with Maytag and pointed out how that guy sure wasn't lonely with working on our machine. They finally recalled those units but only gave you a small credit to another Maytag. I now have a Kenmore front load and pretty happy with the new set. Bob built a nice step for them so no bending over real low and room for shelves above.

The HE detergent is a little more expensive but remember that you do not use as much of it.

One drawback is the front load can get a little moldy inside. Just wipe it down everytime you finish and run a cup of bleach through it every month.

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa
Wow. Thanks to everybody for the great replies. To answer questions and add a bit of info, I should say:

The poor old Kenmore is over 10 years old and not a top-end model. It was in the house when we bought it. The dryer on the other hand, is newer and in great shape, so we are not replacing it. No need for a new dryer and lots of space in the laundry area mean that stackability is not a prime concern.

Being shorts and T-shirts kind of guys, we only do about three loads a week. Any ideas about how long it would take to make up the cost differential top vs. front through utility savings? I will look this up on line, but any personal experience is valued. We are leaning toward front load.

Thanks again to all,
Jerry

love frontloaders since switching 2 1/2 years ago.
By switching I mean having the luck to buy two consecutive houses that came with.

First house had Maytag stacked. (I see you don't need a dryer though). But want to comment that our washer also needed a motherboard replaced.

HMMM

Good news -- if you have a home warranty, as we did, this was free with visit charge of $35. Repairman said he is constantly replacing motherboards of stoves, washers, etc.., and blames the erratic current provided by HELCO.

Now have an L/G set. Washer will take my big comforter, which the Neptune would not. These are simply the most wonderful laundry machines I've ever encountered. They don't stack. I've never raved about a washer / dryer before this. I'm glad I don't know what they cost and the previous owner had great taste and a large budget -- because I only have taste and a small budget.

I always used regular liquid ALL Free and Clear in both washers (less of it) and never had a problem. Where would I get the special soap? I may try it.

HE soap says it right on the front. Almost every brand makes HE. Like I mentioned, it seems a little more expensive but it really isn't because you don't use as much. Be careful to watch the line for the right amount to use. I think if you use the regular kind it makes too many suds and leaves a residue or something. I have used the regular kind before and had no ill effects but I am trying to learn to read directions and follow "rules" so I figured I will stick with the HE.

Jerry, if you decide to splurge and get a washer & dryer make sure you get the doors that will open up so you just seamlessly move from the washer to the dryer. I know, it makes me sound lazy but it made things easier not to have to keep pushing the door shut to get in the dryer or step around the door. Also, have a little step built and put them on it. We had a stacked but now have the side by side & I think I like it better. When the Maytag washer on our stacked went out the dryer was fine but we had to replace both!!

Atlanta/Pahoa
Atlanta/Pahoa