Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are good agencies / groups to donate to?
First, I want you to know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. Living in CA in an area that has had several wildfires in the 25+ years here that have destroyed thousands of homes, I have great empathy for what you are going through.

We rented a house in Hawaiian Beaches in January 2013 for a week's vacation (second time to the Big Island), and spent a lot of time exploring and getting to know and love the area.

I have totally have had it with the American Red Cross and their past scandals and bloated salaries at the top.

I can't donate much, but for what I can give, I'd like it to go to a good groups where most if not all make its way to the people in need.

What group or groups should us mainlanders consider donating to?
Well for starters Punaweb will be fundraising for Pahoa Elementary School today. It was Hawaii Bound that got us started last year. There are families here below the line economically and the school tries to have a Christmas present for each child.

This was the response from Ana at Pahoa Elementary last year:

abartolo

Posted - 12/18/2013 : 15:05:59

Thank you all for the generous gifts for our Children at Pahoa Elementary. We will giving out these gifts to our students this evening at our Christmas Family Night. Distribution of these gifts will be given first priority to our MVA (homeless) children. There will be a lot of happy children tonight as we give out these gifts.

Thank you for all those people who dropped off items on such short notice. Mahalo to Heath for the initial call, Rob, Christine, and everyone who donated. ( I didn't get a chance to get all your names). We got donations of clothes, toys, dolls, shoes, socks, underwear, boogie boards, food, books, stuffed dolls/animals, board games, art craft sets and many other gifts. Mahalo Puna!!

From the Santa Workshop at Pahoa Elementary School. Amber, Onveva, Maddie, Mila, Ala and Anna

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator