Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Property Values
Does anyone have any idea or thoughts about property values in HPP, Orchidland and Ainaloa after the lava goes over Beach Rd? Do you think the value will go up because of demand, or down because of the lava being so close?? Thanks for any comments.
That assumes that none of those places will be inundated, which may be premature. If they are, it's a safe bet that prices will go down. :-)
HPP, Orchidland, Ainaloa are not (from this flow, and at this time) threatened by inundation.

Certainly, rental activities in HPP (and, according to reliable sources, in Hilo) are already as hot as a lava flow.
(bad pun intended)
This, even as real estate prices have shown somewhat of an up trend (if only because they had dropped so precipitously a few years back).
Simply of the basis on supply, parcels cut off by lava will reduce what is available to the main market and that increases price elsewhere. Demand for real estate with access to jobs in Hilo and Kona can only be boosted.
They will probably go down as long as there is an active flow in the area. The banks may not want to finance and the insurance companies may not want to insure.
About a third of inquiries when you rent a house out right now are related to lava refugees, although the stalled flow front has most of them calming down a bit. There are a lot of people looking for affordable housing in Puna, not counting the lava and Iselle refugees. There's a lot of room for a non-profit to help folks get into affordable houses.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
A lot of people are going to leave the island, but the rest are mostly going to want to rent in closer to Hilo. I don't know how it will all shake out.
Wait and see. After new (potential) buyers see what's going on so close, I think it's getting enough news coverage. It's just a matter of time before the flow starts to swing more north if it continues to erupt on the north side.

Not too long ago it was predicted to run though HPP. Like a few months back. I wouldn't buy in HPP, maybe close to Highway 11 in orchidland/Hawaiian Acres or Fern acres / forest. JMO... There are tons of lot's still (plenty of inventory) and not everyone is looking to go down unpaved roads with catchment water and no mail delivery or high speed internet.

I think the prices will go down or remain where they all, and when the lava does cut through 130, you can get some REALLY good deals on the other side of the lava. Like beach front for cheap no doubt. Just have to wait a bit.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
My neighbors home on 5th street just went up for sale yesterday. $139,900. Not because of the flow...but because of the hot market in HPP right now.
The breakouts back at the area where the flow exits the crack are very close to heading off toward HPP, so the market there could get really hot !
There are already 209 properties for sale in HPP including 113 houses/residential properties according to the Zillow site. It will be interesting to use these numbers as a base to see if the numbers go up or down in the following days/weeks/months.

http://www.zillow.com/hawaiian-paradise-park-keaau-hi/